London Broil Question

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

London Broil Question

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 16, 2011 5:19 pm

I have bought London Broil in the past for making jerky and lately I have started using it for chicken fried steak. I always split it into thin steaks and then beat heck outa it with a tenderizing mallet so that it isn't too tough and it works ok, I guess?

What I was wondering was does anybody have a good Recipe for fixing this non-marble lean piece of meat? All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Re: London Broil Question

Postby n2dabluebbq » Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 pm

ok i'll bite.... i might be wrong, but isn't London broil a way of preparing a steak as opposed to a cut of meat? in that, i mean isn't London broil made from a flank steak?

top round roast/steak is sometimes labeled as london broil which is incorrect from what i have been taught. but lets assume you are talking about top round roast/steak. it definitely is a very tough cut. i would be more inclined to cook it using a stirfry method.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Grill it to med rare and slice it thin on the bias and serve with tortillas, Guacamole,pico de gallo, and some lime, black beans and Mexican rice.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 17, 2011 6:40 am

n2dabluebbq wrote:ok i'll bite.... i might be wrong, but isn't London broil a way of preparing a steak as opposed to a cut of meat? in that, i mean isn't London broil made from a flank steak?

You might be correct but I've always seen it advertised and sold as London Broil.
It is a very lean and boneless piece of meat that is usually about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
I may try BluDog's fajita style suggestion next time altho I prefer skirt steak or wild turkey breasts for that.

thanks for the replies
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
logem
Pilgrim

Postby logem » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Here you go. Quick, easy, fast, good.

London Broil from Bonnie Houston

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoon salad oil
8 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 green onion or some chopped onion
2 teaspoon accent (msg)
1 Tablespoon wine or cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Meat (flank steak)

Directions:
1. Marinate meat several hours at room temperature.
2. Broil or charbroil (hot, 5 minutes per side, cook rare)
3. Medium or well done will be tough
4. Cut across grain.

Mike L.

Return to “Request a Recipe”