Smoked Ham

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Smoked Ham

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Alright, so the wife want me to smoke a ham for Thanksgiving. now I do comp cooking and can cook anything, however ive never done a ham :dont:
I am looking for some advice and any proven ideas that have worked for you pros.

Thanks in advance. and I hope you ALL have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Rick G.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: Smoked Ham

Postby tex_toby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:29 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Alright, so the wife want me to smoke a ham for Thanksgiving. now I do comp cooking and can cook anything, however ive never done a ham :dont:
I am looking for some advice and any proven ideas that have worked for you pros.

Thanks in advance. and I hope you ALL have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Rick G.

You can do one of two things....

1. Buy a fresh, raw ham and smoke it. (most likely to only be found at your local butcher)
2 My recommendation - buy an already smoked ham and doctor it up on the pit for a double-smoked ham. This is what do every Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is ALWAYS a favorite. Your grocery stores will have these piled up. They either come whole or spiral cut. I suggest buying a whole as the spiral cut ones dry out a bit and the ends will curl on the pit.

Ingredients/materials
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 can of pineapple rings
1 jar of maraschino cherries
Injector
toothpicks

Make an injection
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar
Pour in all of the juice from your pineapple can
2 – 3 tbsp Cherry Juice out of the jar

Warm the injection in the microwave and stir until all is liquid. Inject all throughout the ham until it wont hold anymore. I haven’t had a ham take too much injection. Maybe half of what you made or so. Anyways, the leftover injection can be used to baste the ham on your pit. Put it on a 225 degree pit. Remember, the ham is already cooked, so you are really just trying to warm it up to temp. I like to bring mine up to about 135 – 140 or so. I wait until the last 45 minutes or so to decorate my ham. I affix the pineapple rings and cherries to the ham and then baste with the leftover injection.

DON'T FORGET: Save your hambone and use it in a pot of black-eyed peas or pinto beans. I free my Thanksgiving hambone and use it at Christmas. DEElicious! :thap:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 pm

This is similar to the one I do, I don't inject mine but I will,try it next time,this is my glaze that is really nice.

Baste it with this,
Equal amounts of approx 250 Mls
Bourbon
Apricot sauce..
Maple syrup
Small jar honey grain mustard 50 Mls
Mix and keep basting.

I know this thread is old but I learnt something from it, maybe somebody might try my baste.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh, the pic
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.03 KiB) Viewed 6939 times

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Had me going on this one until I realized it was 4 years old :shock: :dont: I thought my "oldtimers disease" was settin in when I saw Ric wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving - - then I looked at the dates. Think I'll go lay down now. :roll: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Request a Recipe”