Not so HOT Pops

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Not so HOT Pops

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:30 am

Is there a way to tell if certain fresh Jalapenos are going to be unforgivingly HOT?

I'm wanting to gril some stuffed Jalapenos for my DIL's BD this weekend but the Company can't stand real hot peppers and the last time I did them even I couldn't eat them. :angryfire:

Probably a stupid question but, oh well, I"m old and that's my excuse. :dont:

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Not so HOT Pops

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:26 am

Actually there is a way to tell. Here is a link to a story I read when I was wanting to make ABTs. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tip_how_to_check_for_the_hotness_of_jalapenos/

Now you are an expert. :D
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks Okie - - - now I'm an expert instead of an ex-squirt, as the Wiffy sometimes remarks.
FWIW, I also have been told that if you use cream cheese it will damper the heat in some cases. So I think I'll use the cream cheese, bacon and own-yawns in Jalapeno "boats" baked in the oven instead of the normal approach. :tup:

'preciate it :tup: OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 am

Normally I do them over the grill on my favorite Texas Shaped Pepper grilling rack so maybe ?if? I pick the smoother peppers and switch to cream cheese stuffing with bacon lids, it won't be so hot/ :dont:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:50 am

Make sure you get all the seeds as well as that membrane. Both hold the heat.

Those look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 am

I like how you did the Texas shaped poppers. You are right about cream cheese. Any dairy will help mitigate the heat from peppers.

I stole this recipe a few years back:

ABTs

8 Jalapenos halved
8 oz package of cream cheese
6 oz Italian sausage
1/4 cup onion finely chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 pound of bacon

Start by browning the sausage then add in the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft.

Allow the mixture to cool while you prep your jalapenos. Combine the sausage mix with cream cheese and parmesan in a zip-lock bag. You can mix everything together in the bag, then cut off a corner so you can easily squeeze the filling into the peppers. Then wrap with bacon and put them on the smoker.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:21 am

thanks I'll do that recipe in jalapeno boats without the bacon wrap this weekend so I can scrap the membrane out better and hopefully everyone can/will tolerate them. Thanks again, Oakie

OUP
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 am

I always split my peppers in half, lengthwise, then I scrape the insides out really good with a teaspoon, never any heat more than a bell pepper... so if ya want some heat? scrape one half and not the other :roll:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:20 pm

The amount of heat when growing jalapeño’s depends on the sun ñ watering of the jalapeño first ñ foremost; along with fertilizing them.

This is why white ñ dark stress marks white means lack of water which is good (if wanting them hot) that throws out the natural chemical - " capsaicin" in the jalapeno ñ is referred to as the pepper’s natural defense. When jalapeño plants are stressed - as when they are when lacking in water - the capsaicin increases resulting in hotter peppers. Growing in direct sunlight also is another way the jalapeño determines it’s heat. Red in color is getting hotter - they are older jalapeño’s.

Using fertilizer high in nitrogen makes less heat in the peppers.

Jalapeño’s are hotter near the stem ñ the stem itself is the hottest part – than white membrane ñ finally the seeds.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks for the info - - - I always plant some Collard Greens in the Fall and I think I'm gonna see if I can make some Jalapenos survive also. Early frosts might get'em but wTH. :salut:
txplates USER_AVATAR
TxPlates
Wrangler

Postby TxPlates » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:12 pm

I take the whole jalapeño and cut off the top. Then make a small triangle slit big end at the top. That allows me to clean out the insides. I usually make a mix of cream cheese with some siracha mix in, giving it back a little heart. Stuff a shrimp, wrap it bacon. Delicious.
JohnSmallTX
Pilgrim

Postby JohnSmallTX » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 am

I really like ABTs, but can't handle the heat.

Something I do to drastically reduce the heat is put the pepper pieces in a plastic food storage bag and pour in a fair amount of 7up pop. Seal and soak overnight.

When you're ready to assemble the ABTs, drain and rinse well.

The 7up soak will make all the difference in the world.
Conroe
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 am

good tip JS - - - bagging in liquid over night is "my" kind of remedy :salut:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:Actually there is a way to tell. Here is a link to a story I read when I was wanting to make ABTs. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tip_how_to_check_for_the_hotness_of_jalapenos/

Now you are an expert. :D

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Return to “Request a Recipe”