No Sodium Gobbler

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

No Sodium Gobbler

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm doing 2 beer can Turkeys for Thanksgiving. One is a gift for my Contractor Friend and his Family as a small thank you for all they do for us here in the Community. No problem with that one because I can use all the good high octane leaded ingredients as I've done in the past.

:dont: HOWEVER, I have been asked to do one for my oldest son's Family Gathering and it must be Salt/Sodium Free because of his wife and his father-in-law cannot tolerate it. They have both spent weeks in the Hospital this year dealing with fluid retention and internal bleeding. So now Y'all see what I'm facing.

Oakie and I have discussed several things and he has enlightened me on how salt improves the moisture and juiciness. So since I can't use salt in the injection or marinade, do Y'all have any substitute suggestion :?: The beer can process usually takes care of the contant basting and provides some moisture but I think I'm gonna need some more spices? ingredients?

Any and ALL suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: No Sodium Gobbler

Postby BluDawg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:28 am

Season the cavity with Mrs Dash original then fill it with 1/4 ed oranges onion & thyme,
Zest an orange and mix the orange zest with 2/3 cup mayo and more of the Mrs Dash coat the outside
Put a base of carrot onion & celery and the giblets in the bottom of the roasting pan with a cup of white wine and 1 cup of homemade chicken stock. (make the gravy base in one shot)
roast it at 350 till done.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am

thanks, Dawg, I'm doing it beer can style without th4e beer so a lot of the suggestions can be incorporated into the can liquid and injection marinade - - - this may even turn out to be eatable :dont: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:40 am

don't know if you have considered the salt substitutes or not? some times medical conditions allow for potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride, potassium chloride is what most salt substitutes are made of, before using check with the consumers first though, just a thought, otherwise what blu said....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 am

thanks, ST, :salut: my son did mention possibly using Potassium salt so I may see what options that provides me - - - - I will also probably use a fresh bird instead of a frozen one also because I have recently learned that most frozen ones have been soduim injected - - - - sure is a lot of trouble to go to but THEY are worth it :chef:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:50 pm

The problem with salt substitutes is the potassium. Often people who have heart disease/name your disease, and cannot tolerate salt, are often very potassium sensitive as well -- messes with heart rhythm.

Best way to eat an unsalted turkey? Inject with Maker's Mark whiskey, bake til done, throw the bird away and drink the Maker's Mark. :cheers: :laughing7:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:27 pm

:laughing7: :D :lol: that's the same way we eat a Turducken :laughing7: :D :lol:

I bought some Tony C's no salt Creole seasoning and I'd rather eat Tide washing powder :tdown: :whiteflag:
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Great ideas from all. Here is a couple or more for you.

6 garlic cloves minced or use some granular
1 T. rubbed sage
2 T. poultry seasoning
1 T. sweet dried basil or use some fresh do not over power the basil
black pepper sprinkle
1 T. all purpose flour
1 turkey size oven roasting bag

~Inside Turkey cavity ñ neck place~
2 celery ribs chop
2 carrots small chop
1 onion small chop
Lemon slices optional

1) 14 lb. turkey

Gravy~
1 T. cornstarch
2 Tbsps. cold water adjust seasonings to taste if need be ñ rid excess fat

Preheat oven 350°F.
Small bowl - mix together garlic n all seasonings. Sprinkle flour into oven bag - shake to coat. Place bag in a roasting pan add vegetables inside cavity ñ neck - sprinkle with seasoning mix also.
Pat turkey dry. With fingers - carefully loosen skin from turkey breast - rub half of the remaining herb mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Add remaining seasoning mixture - sprinkle over veggies ñ place veggies in cavity ñ neck. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
Place turkey in bag - breast side up - close bag with nylon tie.
Cut 6) 1/2" slits in top of bag close with tie provided. Bake 2 to 2½ hours or till thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°F.
Remove turkey from oven bag to a serving platter-tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Strain contents of oven bag into a small saucepan - discarding vegetables- skim fat from cooking juices. Gravy -small bowl -mix cornstarch with water till smooth - gradually whisk into cooking juices. Bring to a boil - cook - stir 2 minutes or till thick.

Or try

Ginger with cinnamon sticks ñ gr. all spice with gr. cloves or Mexican seasonings seasoned inside ñ out.

Honey – melted butter garlic granular with lemon mixed with little sweet dried basil all over ñ inside ñ out. Can inject this right into that big baby or pour in and out ñ baste it.

To all have a great Thanksgiving ñ remember those without.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks, especially for mentioning da'Grabby, :chef: I had forgotten all about it - - - :banghead:

Return to “Request a Recipe”