JerK Chicken

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bockbock
Cowboy

JerK Chicken

Postby Bockbock » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 am

Anyone have a good rub for Jerk Chicken? I would like to smoke some chicken with some jerk rub on it. Thanks in advance! Go Broncos!!!!! :cheers:
Bockbock
Dillo Q
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: JerK Chicken

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:29 am

Curious to hear what the others have to offer up. We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon over 10 yrs ago. The jerk chicken from the roadside stands was amazing. I've tried Walkerswood and its ok but I'd lovers find a new recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am

Jerk Chicken

2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
2 teaspoons dry thyme
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice

Wash chicken and pat dry. Place on a rack and rub the chicken all over with a combination of soy sauce and lime juice. Let it drip dry while you make up the rub.

Give the chicken a good dusting of the rub, and rub it in.

Cook in your Big Easy, smoker, or oven. Traditionally it is cooked over pimento wood, but good luck finding that here. Cook at 350F (for a crispy skin) until breast registers 170F.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 am

Looks good Okie!

If you really want to get Jamaican with it… http://www.pimentowood.com/Pimento_Wood ... _Wood.html

Don't forget the Red Stripe & Appleton…Ya Mon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks for the recipe, saved for sure. The pimento wood co. is located in Minn. So freight might not be too much. I may give it a try. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks, Okie. Will give it a go. My sister-in-law got married in Jamaica and we had lots of Jerk chicken that was "off the chain". Was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives last night and there is a dude in Cincinnati that is from Jamaica that was making it on the show. Peaked my interest. Will let ya know how it goes. Thanks.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:27 pm

:cheers: :salut:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm

Okie comes thru again :):)

Definitely giving this one a shot !! Thx man
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 pm

:salut:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:59 am

Tried the "Jerk Chicken" recipe and it was an epic fail. Marinated the chicken for 24 hours. Grilled it, smelled great, but there was not "jerk" flavor at all. Can't figure out what went wrong. Oh well, guess that means I will try it again.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 am

Why did you marinate? How did you cook it?
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:04 pm

I marinated to let the flavors infuse in to the chicken. I used a little different recipe than the one you posted. It had most of the same ingredients as your recipe. I grilled the chicken on my weber with charcoal. Don't get me wrong, the chicken wasn't bad, just didn't have the "jerk" flavor. I will try yours to the T next time and see what happens.

I looked at a lot of videos on youtube and they all marinated their chicken for 24-48 hours. Oh well, will do it again. :banghead:
Bockbock
Dillo Q
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Bockbock~Hope this helps you and others with making authentic jerk chicken.

Okie Sawbones has given great ingredients towards the jerk chicken and sure it is very tasty.

Jerk chicken is the most well-known Jamaican dish know what I'm talking about~ moist pieces of poultry that are full of soaked-up marinade flavor, with burnished skin and crispy, blackened bits of meat courtesy of the grill the bird is cooked on.
But if you've never had the chance to visit the tiny nation that jerk chicken hails from, then you've never really had the authentic dish.

Here's why~
True jerk chicken is cooked not just over coals, but also over fresh green wood~ most traditionally, wood from the pimento tree, which is native to the Caribbean and produces another very important jerk chicken ingredient -allspice berries - used in the marinade or sometimes sweetwood (the Jamaican name for the laurel tree!

Pimento wood and sweetwood stacked up.

Jamaica, the wood of these trees is essential to the jerk process. To cook the chicken (or the pork, also widely available at jerk joints), it all starts with the wood, which, in the form of charcoals, is laid under huge metal grates and continually stoked to stay roaring hot. Then, big logs of pimento or allspice wood are laid on top of the grates. The meat is placed directly on top of the green wood, then covered with big sheets of metal.

As the chicken cooks, it absorbs oils directly from the surface of the wood, and also gets imbued with the fragrant steam and smoke produced by the green wood and the charcoals underneath. Once the chicken is cooked—it takes about two hours for a butterflied chicken turned once— it's removed from the grill, stripped from the bone, and chopped up, all the better to expose it to fiery-hot Scotch bonnet sauce traditionally served on the side.

Fiery, vinegary Scotch bonnet pepper sauce, to be eaten with jerk chicken or pork.
But let's back up a little bit, shall we? Long before jerk chicken even hits that elaborate grill setup, it's soaked in a simple to make but complex-tasting marinade that gives the meat its sweet and spicy flavor.
If you do an internet search for jerk chicken recipes, you're likely to find hundreds of different ideas of what goes into the traditional marinade. Some recipes call for soy sauce, some for brown sugar; some call for whole cloves, some for ground; some add hot Scotch bonnet peppers, while others add milder jalapeños; and the list goes on and on.

***Jerk Chicken marinade~
In Jamaica, the jerk chicken joints I visited were invariably reluctant to share exactly what goes into their house marinades, but there's an agreed-upon formula that forms the base of the marinade, which individual cooks or restaurants will riff on, changing an ingredient here, adding another one there.

The formula includes these ingredients below~
!. Allspice berries. The fruit of the pimento tree used for grilling jerk chicken, allspice berries are dried and resemble peppercorns. They have a sweet, spicy, floral flavor, and got their name when English settlers of the Caribbean tasted them and thought they combined the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The berries are ground to release their essential oils.
2. Thyme. Fresh is preferable, but dried is also used.
3. Scotch bonnet pepper. Native to the Caribbean, Scotch bonnet peppers are extremely spicy, about 40 times hotter than jalapeños. The peppers are chopped or blended for use in the marinade, and seeds can be left in or removed for less heat. Could use Habenara peppers in place of Bonnet scotch bonnet peppers.
4.Scallions or green onions. Both white and green parts, chopped.
5.Fresh ginger. Peeled and grated. The ginger plant flourishes in the Caribbean, and is used in many regional specialties such as~ ginger beer and sorrel, a drink that's brewed from hibiscus flowers.

~Traditional jerk marinade ingredients, from back to front are~
1. soy sauce and sugar 2. whole Scotch bonnets and allspice berries 3. chopped ginger 4. scallions 5. fresh thyme and 6. more chopped Scotch bonnets.
And that's it.

~ Other common ingredients added to this base include~1. ground cinnamon or nutmeg 2. brown or white sugar 3. vegetable oil OR soy sauce.

Most cooks marinate their meat for as long as possible, at least 12 hours but sometimes up to 24. As a result, the chicken is imbued with a ton of flavor before it even meets the coals and wood that will fill it with smokiness.

Well-made, authentic jerk chicken is addictive~It's both smoky and moist, sweet and spicy. The long marination and long cooking time leave it soft and tender, and the hot chile sauce typically served on the side cuts through the richness of the meat and keeps you going back for more.

But there's another reason jerk is so dear to Jamaicans' hearts, and that's its long history on the island. The method of cooking is said to have originated under the colonial rule, first of the Spanish and then of the British, in the 1600s. Groups of African slaves that had been brought to Jamaica to work its sugar plantations escaped to the mountainous interior of the island, where the native Indian population also sought refuge from the colonizers. These escaped slaves, today referred to as Maroons, are said to have hunted the wild boar common to the region, then preserved it for days in a spice-heavy marinade. When it came time to cook the meat, the Maroons dug holes in the ground, filled them with charcoal, and buried the meat in the holes, which they then covered so as not to produce smoke and attract the attention of those that would bring them back into slavery
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:39 am

Jerk Chicken with Pineapple-Mango Salsa
This recipe for jerk sauce is fiery but not incendiary, full of flavor, and worth the effort to make it. There are as many Jamaican recipes for jerk as there are Jamaicans; I settled on this as one the best of the best. Serve with big iced bottles of Jamaican Red Stripe beer :rose:
1/3 cup coarsely chopped shallot
4 green onions, green and white parts, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 to 1 Scotch bonnet chili, stemmed, seeded, and chopped on occasion I add an extra lanced pepper for added heat...(lanced so you can get rid of it after the marinade)
3 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4-6 (4 to 6 oz.) skinless, bone-in chicken breasts
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1 cup chopped fresh mango
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to your desire each persons taste is different...

In a food processor or blender, combine the shallots, green onions, oil, water, lime juice, soy sauce, Scotch bonnet, garlic, ketchup, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and thyme and process until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
Wash the chicken breasts and pat dry. Using rubber gloves, cover each breast with the jerk paste. Place the chicken in a re-sealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
Prepare a charcoal grill for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan under the cool side of the grill rack. Preheat to medium to hot . Make sure the grill rack is clean, and oil it thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray be careful of a flare up....
Remove the chicken from the bag and transfer to the prepared grill rack over direct heat. Cook for 5 minutes per side, then move the chicken to the cool side of the grill and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer per side, until the internal temperature reaches 160˚F. Remove the chicken from the grill and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the salsa by combining the pineapple, mango, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice in a food processor and pulsing 3 or4 times until the ingredients are chopped, but still chunky. Pour into a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Serve each breast topped with a generous portion of salsa.
lots of work but great tasting..... :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Never had jerk chicken, but my mouth is watering after all of that great info !!!
Gonna give it a go but need to leave the ( jerk ) part out on half of the cook, lol.
The wifey won't do hot and spicy :(

Return to “Request a Recipe”