Smoked Prime Rib recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

yorkk99
Pilgrim

Smoked Prime Rib recipe

Postby yorkk99 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:25 am

I am relativity new to smoking, only been really doing it for about two years. I am looking for a good Texas Prime Rib smoke recipe. If you have any advice or tips I will gladly except them. Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoked Prime Rib recipe

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi York99,
I myself just smoked a 10 lber a few weeks back. I used a salt /pepper combo along with a little bit of paprika and cayenne.
Smoked till about 135 internal and pulled, wrapped in a towel and foil for about 2 hrs before slicing.
Was definitely one of the best I've had. Seems simple spices work the best. Good luck and post pics for us ok ?
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:00 pm

The last 10 years or so I do a prime rib for Christmas in my smoker. My first one wasn't a big hit, tried going low and slow.....way too much smoke.
This ain't exactly a Texas recipe but I did ask for advise here and they steered me in the right direction.
I like to do rather large prime ribs...16-18 lbs. that way the overcooked crowd can have the end cuts which will be medium and the center cuts will be a nice medium rare.
I usually rub the meat down the night before with Worchester sauce then give it a heavy rub of SBs Hootchie Mommas and Montreal steak seasoning. I wrap the roast in Saran Wrap and throw it in the fridge overnight.
I have my best luck at smoking them at 300 -325 in the smoker. Also I'll use mostly lump charcoal and add just a few sticks of wood during the cook. Prime rib absorbs smoke in a hurry, a little smoke goes a long ways. This is just my personal preference. If you like a stronger smoke flavor use more wood.
I'll usually pull the roast when it hits a core temp of 130 to -135. Let it rest on the kitchen counter un wrapped to stop the cooking process. If the wife is behind on the rest of dinner I'll foil tent it till everything else is done.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:13 pm

+1. Primes (and other of your fine meats like most steaks) absorb smoke easily and can quickly oversmoke in a smoker, that's why so many people like to cook them steak style in a steak cooker or gasser. I would sear the outside and then go for a higher heat roast in yer smoker with a mature, less smokey fire. First one I did I oversmoked, put it in for like 3 or 4 hours at 225-250, came out looking great but tasted like a cigar butt.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Prime Rib is why I love my ceramic cooker, the Primo Oval. I cook with lump, and I only add an orange sized chunk of cherry wood to the coals. It gives good color and does not over smoke the meat. An 8 lb. roast cooked at 275F takes ~4 hours to come up to 125F internal. I cover with foil and then with a warming blanket for at least an hour. The temperature will climb on up to 132-135F while wrapped. You can sear before smoking, or you can crank up the ceramic to 600F and do a quick sear. I sear first -- it is easier.

For spices, I like just a simple Chicago Steak Rub, which is mostly salt and pepper, with a little sugar, garlic, onion, and lemon zest added. Montreal Steak Rub works well also. I hear Suckle Busters Camp Fire Steak Seasoning is good as well, but I haven't tried it yet.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
yorkk99
Pilgrim

Postby yorkk99 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks to all, I am excited about giving it a try. I love Prime rib, and I love to smoke so we will see how it goes. I'll post pics

yorkk99
Pilgrim

Postby yorkk99 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:59 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Hi York99,
I myself just smoked a 10 lber a few weeks back. I used a salt /pepper combo along with a little bit of paprika and cayenne.
Smoked till about 135 internal and pulled, wrapped in a towel and foil for about 2 hrs before slicing.
Was definitely one of the best I've had. Seems simple spices work the best. Good luck and post pics for us ok ?

Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics when I try it out

captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 pm

the classic recipe in the oven is 250° until you hit around 110° internal
take it out and let it sit on the counter to rest
crank up your oven to max = 450°~500°
put it back in to finish the surface
i do the same thing except i put it in the smoker / my OldSmokey in the mid 200°s
then I do the finish in the oven

classic recipes
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009 ... ecipe.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food ... e-rib.html
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Request a Recipe”