Beer can chicken

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Beer can chicken

Postby castironchris » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:31 am

I haven't done one of these in years but am planning on it this weekend. Curious of some of the different ways that are preferred. High or low temp? Spritzin? Injectin? Rub? Binder for the rub? Thanks in advance.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Beer can chicken

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am

Can't help much, I have never had much luck with Vertical cooks. I now spatchcock my chicken or cook in pieces. Interesting questions, I will be watching. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 am

Chris, my Wiffy really likes beer can chicken so I do them regularly and I do it pretty simple. Rinse bird and pat dry, inject with Tony's Creole Butter injection, sprinkle with rub of choice and sit on beer can throne. NOW, concerning the beer can, I pour out a little then add Allegro Hot and Spicy Marinade and maybe a slice of own-yawn and pepper in there also - - - cooker choice. Then I set it in a drip pan over Kingsford Charcoal in my ECB until done. Usually about 2 hours plus or minus.

Footnote: with the constant beer liquid basting during cook, I sometimes don't inject "depends?"
Also put a Pepper or Tater in the neck hole to keep the steam in the bird.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:21 pm

What kind of temp do you run on that OUP?
Weber 22" with SlownSear
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Chris, the gauge on a ECB lacks a whole bunch in accuracy but I just load the charcoal pan up which sits on the bottom and then put the Bird on the top rack. After saying that, I would imagine that she's running on either side of 300 F most of the cook. I know its sounds shaky on my part but I just check it after the first hour and then every 30 minutes until you get 180 at the thigh. The best thing about this technique is it's constant basting which makes it ?almost? impossible to over cook (within reason that is) I usually add about 6 or so briquettes every 30 minutes during the cook. You definitely want the good dark brown skin so fire away and Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:35 pm

No need to reach for needle - just brine that bird overnight with some salt and beer. Drain, rub, and cook. If you go with a whole bird, you can shove an onion or a little green apple up in the cavity to keep it moisturized and adds a bit of flavor.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:17 am

I tend to inject mine with either creole butter or Butcher's Bird Booster.

Heavy dose of your favorite chicken seasoning all over. I don't put it in a pan, but I put one under the grate to catch the drippings. I set it, typically with the breasts to the heat until I get the color I want, then I turn it to allow the drums and thighs to act as a buffer so the breast doesn't over cook. Also, for our taste, the heavier the beer, the better. Usually no lighter than a Shiner. Pour out about 1/4 to half. Cook at 325. I don't watch times as much as I do temps, but it usually takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 am

Pretty standard offerings there and I don't see mine as being much different but. Rinse and pat birdie dry, then I get the bud light suppository ready. I season the inner cavity with the seasoning I will use on the exterior along with some garlic and onion. (little dabs will do). Place bird gently upon beer can (but don't worry, I don't think he can feel anything right now anyways). Slather bird in light coating of olive oil or butter, then dust birdie with your seasoning! Desired temp is up to you. I have gone between 290 and 325 and personally, I prefer the hotter temp.
(Insert witty signature here)
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Gonna give it a go on Sunday I think. Got kinda worried after reading the debunking article on Meathead Amazing Rib or whatever he calls himself but ain't none of y'all dead yet so science or not, gonna give it a whirl!! Thanks for all the advice
Weber 22" with SlownSear
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:50 pm

I used to do beer can chicken. I've had better luck with a simple brine for 4-6 hours and then some smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:53 pm

castironchris wrote:Gonna give it a go on Sunday I think. Got kinda worried after reading the debunking article on Meathead Amazing Rib or whatever he calls himself but ain't none of y'all dead yet so science or not, gonna give it a whirl!! Thanks for all the advice

I just read that article and I can say that I do agree that I didn't find much beer flavor; but the rest is hogwash. I will make my next bird stand up, like a beer can bird, but no beer can and see if I can replicate the juiciness I got from the beer can bird.
(Insert witty signature here)
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:28 pm

I was also considering just the stand and no can. I don't really care about beer flavor since I am sure there will be beers consumed during and after the cook!! :drunk: :drunk:
I just want it to remain juicy which I don't remember being a problem years ago when I did it.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Chris, FWIW the constant basting from the liquid throne is ?almost? a must in this type of dealie and the beer taste doesn't exist since the alcohol evaporates during the cook. However, you can use sodie pop like Lemon Lime Soda, Mountain Dew or empty out a beer can (any where you like :laughing7: ) and fill it 3/4 with apple juice, favorite marinade, spices OR combination of them and it will do the same thing. :tup:

Return to “Request a Recipe”