Too Many Lemons - need Recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Too Many Lemons - need Recipe

Postby Russ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:37 pm

I love marmalade, I didn't think it was an American thing though.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:54 pm

It's not, Pard, but I'm sure gonna try some here in Texas :texas: using this recipe
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/me ... marmalade/

AND THEN, I'm going to take a cranberry salsa recipe and place the lemon meat where the cranberries are suggested :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Mr. Oup Sir, I haven't made this but I've been wanting to. Now its not the meat of the lemon but the rind.

3 lemons
8 cups cold water, or as needed
2 cups white sugar, or as needed
Prep 10 m
Cook 1 h
Ready In 1 h 40 m

Cut lemons into slices about 1/4 inch thick and remove the fruit pulp. Cut the rings in half so the peels are in long strips.
Bring water and lemon peel to a boil in a small pan. Drain water, and repeat with fresh cold water. Repeat the boiling step three times.
Drain and set peels aside.
Combine 2 cups fresh water with 2 cups sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and stir in citrus peels; simmer until the white pith is translucent. Store peels in syrup, refrigerated, to keep them soft, or allow them to dry. Toss dry candied peels in additional sugar and store airtight at room temperature.
Attachments
Candy lemon peel.jpg
Candy lemon peel.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:31 pm

thanks, RIc Sir, :tup: that sure would be worth one large mess around Christmas time wouldn't it :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:36 pm

If anyone runs into a surplus of lemons like this in the future, Let me know and I will gladly send you my address and pay for shipping to have some sent my way 8)
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Txdragon wrote:If anyone runs into a surplus of lemons like this in the future, Let me know and I will gladly send you my address and pay for shipping to have some sent my way 8)

T-Dragon Sir, just PM me your addy and in a week or so I'll send you some. There's probably 2 dozen large ones left to pick and my oldest wants some so after I know what's what then I'll let you know and hopefully get you 6 or 8 of these. :tup: I think I can go ahead and process the ones I want to make Marmalade, Salsa and RIc's Rind Rounders :laughing7: and then I'll be good for this season. :salut:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:T-Dragon Sir, just PM me your addy and in a week or so I'll send you some. There's probably 2 dozen large ones left to pick and my oldest wants some so after I know what's what then I'll let you know and hopefully get you 6 or 8 of these. :tup: I think I can go ahead and process the ones I want to make Marmalade, Salsa and RIc's Rind Rounders :laughing7: and then I'll be good for this season. :salut:

Outstanding!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:39 pm

T-Dragon, I'm gonna take about 6 of these big boys to UPS on Monday and see what this will cost you and "then", if you agree and send me your addy, I will get them shipped. :idea:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:12 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:T-Dragon, I'm gonna take about 6 of these big boys to UPS on Monday and see what this will cost you and "then", if you agree and send me your addy, I will get them shipped. :idea:

sounds great sir!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 am

Yo TD, I'm gonna need a town and zip to get that shipping amount for us :?:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Just to show the size of these big boys - - - I'm getting 6 ready to ship and they fit tightly in a 7" x 10" box
IMG_0016.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 pm

OK, T-Dragon, where ever you are ? :dont: $10.88 to get six yeller softballs from Montgomery, Tx. to Forney, Tx. - - - ball's in your court now :D :laughing7: :lol:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:13 pm

It came time to pick or loose so I harvested all of the remaining lemons which totaled 34. Got 3 bags of 10 promised out and I'm using the last 4 biggies for Ric peel candy and then I'll probably use the remains for Jelly or Salsa. Next year I'm gonna get generous before it gets this late. :dont:
IMG_0028.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm looking forward to my crop next year. 2 Meyer trees all budding now, and I may get 6 or so limes off our new lime tree we put in last year. I use the limes in my Thai dressing, it's a killer on a Thai salad with chicken.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Just raising the thread again.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Request a Recipe”