Prime rib.

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokeybrisket
Pilgrim

Prime rib.

Postby smokeybrisket » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Ok so the in-laws are in love withy BBQ I have cooked them pulled pork, brisket, and ribs all witch have been a hit. Now they are like if your brisket tastes like that how would a rib roast taste. I said I've never done one but I'll try. They have one in the freezer. So by next weekend I need to find a.good method for smoking the roast. I have seen to tie it up with butchers twine and toss some seasoning on it and let it go. So enough back story how do y'all smoke prime rib? My thoughts are tie it up lightly rub with olive oil and Worcestershire sauce and toss some of my brisket Rub on it. Trow it in the smoker in a foil pan inject it hour and half in and cook to 120 wrap to 135 pull and rest for 1 hour in pre heated cooler. How does a sweeter rub turn out on prime rib? My basic rub I use for everything is paprika and brown sugar basically.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Prime rib.

Postby egghead » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 pm

I wouldn't recommend sugar on a prime rib.

I bet the ones you have seen tied up have had the ribs removed in one piece then tied back on for the cook. Like this (I cut this one in half to make 2 "two rib" prime ribs.

The one they have in the freezer may or may not have the rib rack attached.

I like using just salt or something like a Montreal Steak seasoning - a seasoning normally used on a steak that doesn't include sugar. I have used a smear using creole mustard, fine chopped garlic, rosemary, olive oil, and salt.

A real good sear on all sides to develop the Malllard Reaction (google is your friend) and then roast with indirect heat to desired temp. I'm pulling it at around 128 -130 and resting for 10-15 minutes.

Searing

Roasting

Plated

A real treat the next day is to put the ribs back on the pit with plenty smoke.

An alternative is to roast to around 125, then do a reverse sear. I prefer searing first to take guess work out of the finished temp.

Good luck with it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Beautiful marbled steak .

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 am

Best success I've had with Prime Rib was with a 20 lber. Let rest room temp 1 hr before covering with Yellow Mustard, the adding S&P liberally and keeping tied with twine. Smoked over lump/hickory mix around 275/300 using a tin pan as a deflector full of carrots and potatoes and 1/4 cup Beef Broth directly under the Prime Rib for perfect Au Jus...
Pulled at 120, foiled and wrapped for an hour. Slicing was about 130/135.
Just remember, only cut off what you are eating at the time.

Just my experience cooking my way , one of probably dozens of ways to get what ur looking for.
Good luck.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 am

My favorite cut of the Cow but so hard to find good ones at the Steak Houses these days :(
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:23 am

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Smoked Prime Rib is hard to beat for sure. But....too much smoke can ruin that pricey cut of beef. Been there done that :(
I used to smoke them hot in my stick burner as in around 300 just to avoid giving them too much smoke.
Last spring I broke down and got a pellet pooper and have done a few prime ribs in it. Best prime rib I've ever done. Didn't do a sear. Just let them roll a 225 degrees till hit IT of 125 wrapped in foil and let them rest. I kept a temp probe in them while resting, temp rose to around 135. Maybe I just got lucky.
As far as seasonings this is what works for me.
3 nights before I smoke them I sprinkle on a light dusting of Kosher salt. I use a large shaker and hold it up high above the roast while shaking on the salt, this way you see if your getting a nice even sprinkling of salt. Don't over do the salt, just enough that you can see it on the meat. I wrap the roast in Saran Wrap and set it in the fridge for 48 hours. The night before they go in the smoker I remove from wrap. No need to rinse. I give the roast a slather of Worchestershire and Olive oil and finish off with a coat of Montreal Steak seasoning. Wrap back up in Saran Wrap place back in the fridge over night.
What ever way you smoke it or the seasonings you use its hard to beat a smoke medium rare Prime Rib :cheers:

Oh yea...I leave the bones tied on and prefer to do large roast...16-18 pounds

Bill
smokeybrisket
Pilgrim

Postby smokeybrisket » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Sweet guys thanks I'm still open to more suggestions. I don't even know what size this roast is I need to get ahold of it before the weekend so I can see what I'm working with. But I have some good ideas brewing and I was a little worried about the sear before or post smoke I like hearing success without. I just got my gravity feed smoker done few weeks ago and I love the way this thing smokes nice thin clean smoke. I'll take pics for sure.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm

smokeybrisket wrote:I was a little worried about the sear

Fear the spear but not the sear :lol: :lol:

The sear is all about developing flavor

"One of the most important flavor-producing reactions in cooking is the Maillard reaction. It is sometimes called the “browning reaction” in discussions of cooking, but that description is incomplete at best. Cooked meats, seafood, and other protein-laden foods that undergo the Maillard reaction do turn brown, but there are other reactions that also cause browning. The Maillard reaction creates brown pigments in cooked meat in a very specific way: by rearranging amino acids and certain simple sugars, which then arrange themselves in rings and collections of rings that reflect light in such a way as to give the meat a brown color.

The important thing about the Maillard reaction isn’t the color—, it’s the flavors and aromas. Indeed, it should be called “the flavor reaction,” not the “browning reaction.” .......................etc, etc.

Good Luck with it
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Request a Recipe”