Looking for a no Tater Fish Cake Recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Looking for a no Tater Fish Cake Recipe

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 am

Any of Y'all have a Fish Cake Recipe that does NOT have mashed taters in it?
I sure could use one before Lunch. :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: Looking for a no Tater Fish Cake Recipe

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Any of Y'all have a Fish Cake Recipe that does NOT have mashed taters in it?
I sure could use one before Lunch. :chef:

Which I suppose you use for bulk and a binder? Not a recipe exactly but what about soft bread, or even bread crumbs, as a substitute?

Leftover rice? Sketty? Box-o-tater flakes? Just throwin' ideas at the wall here. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Sailor, I think I'll put some Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs in but just a little. Altho some of the online Recipes said to use Mayo, I opted not to. So far it has one egg, purple own-yawn, green own-yawn, red bell pepper, dill weed and a slight bit of cilantro. I have also sprinkled it lightly with Slap-Yo-Mama. Think I'll go add the dry bread crumbs and see if it possibly may need another egg or half of it????? Back in a sec :salut:

Back: added the bread crumbs but don't think I want to add another whole egg :scratch: so I'm now considering a little creamed horseradish but I sure don't want to get it too spicy for the Wiffy. :whiteflag:

the one thing I didn't have in the house and will really miss is some fresh celery chopped fine and mixed it - - oh well this was a last minute whoopteedo :dont:

I'll come back and report the damages after we eat :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 am

One more post before frying time. Decided to sacrifice another cackle berry but I only used the white and the binding came out perfect. Got them into 8 nice balls ready to flatten, bread and fry. This also gives me a chance to finally use a couple of the breadings from the PNW that Wild Bill so generously sent to me. Four of them will be in the "generic" Seafood breading and four of them will be in the Cajun (Gas Mask Breading). One of these days you'd think I'd learn to keep the breathers away from the vicinity when dusting and dumping. :banghead: Everything is OK, I am breathing some what normal now and have cleaned the mess up off of the floor so let the cooking begin. :D
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 am

Well, shoot....you got me hungry again and this isn't even cooked yet! :cheers:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 pm

OK, it's Cooked and Et and "the old blind hawg found an acorn once more" :tup: :cheers:
Crunchy on the outside but sweet and flavorful on the inside. Also got rave reviews from the War Dept. We split a Sweet Tater side and of course I had to have my green veggie "staple food". Loaded Taters with butter, marshmallow and brown sugah. Couple of leftover patties will go towards some fish tacos when I take my ennin meds so let me just say that "Life is Good" at the Byars Patch :cheers: :texas: :blues:

Footnote: the Cajun Breading that Wild Bill sent was awesome in taste and would take your breath away if you breathed it, however, it was not hot or even spicy to the taste so I ended up making me a red sauce with horseradish that added what I needed. I'll also be able to use it for the Wiffy's food now. :tup:

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Nailed it! :salut:
Moink!
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Glad you got a chance to try it Em. Them patties look awesome :salut: :chef:
I was wondering if the Cajun would have enough kick for ya. Y'all down there grew up on hot and spicy. Us Northeners not so much. :lol:
The sweet Betsy is rather mild. I only just tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago. It went rather well on Halibut . Thinking maybe it's for lighter tasting fish like Halibut.
I found that if I leave the fish sit in a mix of butter milk and egg for a while then dump the pieces in a ziplock bag with the breader and shake it up good I'll get a heavier coating on the fish.

:cheers:
Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:55 pm

10-4, Wild Bill, the next time I use any of that it will be with a wet dredge but not on the patties today :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Great colour oup. Didn't look too tempting prior to the cook, but ha nailed it. Bit of tartare sauce, I'm in. :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

thanks Pard, altho I'm a red/cocktail sauce guy myself, I did catch myself thinking about whoopin up some tarter just for these - - - BTW, the fish tacos for supper were muy bueno :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks Pard, altho I'm a red/cocktail sauce guy myself, I did catch myself thinking about whoopin up some tarter just for these - - - BTW, the fish tacos for supper were muy bueno :tup:

Understood, 10:4.

You do love ya tacos eh?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:55 pm

honestly, Pard, when ChilieFarmer turned me onto Guerrero Tortillas, all of a sudden I had a whole new appreciation for the Taco - - - funny, eh?

Return to “Request a Recipe”