Recipes similar to Spring Creek Sauce?

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DruW
Pilgrim

Recipes similar to Spring Creek Sauce?

Postby DruW » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:48 pm

To each his own -- I love the sauce at Spring Creek (DFW) BBQ and would love to have a recipe for something similar (a clone would be outstanding). I actually encourted SC as "similar" for what I remember as an even better sauce at ChuckWagon BBQ in Denton before it closed maybe ten years ago. I suspect that there's some identical "secret ingredient" common to both. DruW in CO.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Welcome DruW...

I can't help on the sauce, but there are a few here that are on the sauce... errr... can probably help you with the sauce...

Good luck...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Welcome DruW in CO. glad you stopped in. It would be splendid if you would tell us a little about yourself. I am with you in that I like Spring Creek sauce. As a matter of fact Spring Creek rates fairly high on my list of TX BBQ joints especially when you consider they are a franchised chain. They obviously have pretty good quality control. Their BBQ sauce is kind of a standard Texas style sauce with a couple exceptions, I detect citrus and spice that I think may be cinnamon in there (could be allspice). Neither are strong but really add a good accent.
You could start with Cattlemans and add those ingredients and see what it's like.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Good Lawdy Papa..can't believe you admitting in public to liking Spring Creek. :shock: Last time a fella drug me in there with an eat free coupon..I come out burping liquid smoke for 3 days. Now will admit they have good bread but thats about it. For a chain Dickeys is best. They got mo betta bread too. Try the veggie plate with cobbler and ice cream for dessert. Yum yum. Aint never bothered to try their meat cuz I already know I aint gonna like it. Hi Dru..welcome.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

As far as Spring Creek goes... Well, lets just say they have pretty good rolls for a BBQ joint... That's about it...

James.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Liquid smoke!!!!!! The one I go to uses Old Hickory SSEs just like the one that I have except that theirs are black not stainless.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Well I think the essence of liquid smoke come from the sauce. We got a branch location near my crib behind the movie theater @ I 35 W. and Western Center Blvd. S.E. corner of said location which do cook on a coupla of Ole Hickorys..and must confess did get some decent point meat out of em one dark night. They call it Shady Oaks BBQ just so not to ruin their reputation I guess. Now I was having the catfish..they got good catfish. Was pilfering the point meat from the warden. Had a live band set up on the lawn beside the creek..and some killer margaritoes. Really put a person in a good frame of mind. Eldest of the male grand chillins is a bbq afficionado..won a bag a toys for his pork chops at the IBCA Traders Village cookoff one year when he was 6 in fact. He now 17 and always trying to to drag me back into that place. Last time we went he claimed it wasnt worth a flip. Now I tried to do the happy hour thang over there and the margaritoes wasnt all that good or cheap..and all the secretaries was missing. I aint sure whut is going on over there. Think they trying to rely on the ambiance or sumthing.

bigwheel
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 pm

Welcome Dru and Good Luck on the sauce.....you gonna need it.... :lol:
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
DruW
Pilgrim

Spring Creek sauce not as good as ChuckWagon sauce

Postby DruW » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the comments and welcomes. As I say each to his own -- we don't all like the same stuff for the same reasons. I just happen to like the Spring Creek sauce. I've sampled many of the offerings of boasted about place in the DFW vicinity in the course of living there for 30 years. Dickey's is the only home style Texas BBQ in the Denver area where I now live (opposite side of town unfortunately) -- and I do (always have) like their sauce, too (a lot) -- just not as much. Any one got a clone recipe for Dickeys sauce? Their meat is ALWAYS tender, but usually lacks flavor -- and not a problem with enough sauce. I don't how they get it that tender (wish I did), but the lack of (smoke) favor may come from cooking basically with gas and throwing in a log or two for the flavor (as it was described to me there). If no one knows of a similar recipe to Spring Creek sauce -- maybe someone remembers the ChuckWagon BBQ place in Denton (same as LaSalles BBQ on the south side of town). They closed eight or nine years ago. darn shame, too. That was my all time favorite suace -- and that's the recipe I would really love to have if anyone remembers that far back. Spring Creek is just very similar and still around -- the same "secret ingredient" I'm sure. I just don't have the taste buds to figure out what it is or the talent to create a "clone" recipe if I did. DruW in CO
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Well the Dickeys down here where I sorta knew the fella who run it (outta bizness now) cooked brisket on a smallish glass fronted Oyler Rotess pits which he claimed was not assisted by either gas or electric and no water added. He would pack it full with about 18 small briskets and start em about 2 PM and they be ready by lunch the next day. Musta been cooking purty low but I forget now whut temp he said. Noted it was a real moist cooking environment sorta like a steam cabinet with water dripping all over the place on the inside...assuming the moisture in the meat had not much place to escape. They come out sorta steam poached and mushy. Could eat em with a spoon if you wanted. Now another fella down here who is currently in bizness got the next to the biggest Oyler they make and it strictly wood fired too. His brisket always come out too dry. Ain't quite figgered out whut the difference in them pits be to come out with such different finished product less it has to do with the sizes of the pits..or maybe the amounts of meat cooked at once. Aint never been overly impressed with Dickeys sauce neither.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm

The Dickeys I go to has a big offset they use and the meat is always tender and flavor is good. Their sauce is good not great, I like Spring Creek sauce a lot better maybe it's the liquid smoke...... :D
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Papa Tom wrote:The Dickeys I go to has a big offset they use and the meat is always tender and flavor is good. Their sauce is good not great, I like Spring Creek sauce a lot better maybe it's the liquid smoke...... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://djstexasstylebbq.com

Caldwell, Texas Native
gstar
Pilgrim

Probably the cook.

Postby gstar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:27 am

@ Bigwheel

If you had meat cooked on an Oyler that wasn't any good, chances are the cook didn't know what he was doing. Our Oyler is awesome. I never even use sauce when I eat out of it. As any Texan knows, sauce is just to cover up bland BBQ.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:50 am

Welcome aboard, gstar!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
bigwheel
Outlaw

Re: Probably the cook.

Postby bigwheel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 am

Well actually my two major expuriences with Oylers was at two different Q joints. At one place the meat come out mushy...at the other place it come out too dry. Guess they shoulda put their head's together to come out with something in the middle.

bigwheel

gstar wrote:@ Bigwheel

If you had meat cooked on an Oyler that wasn't any good, chances are the cook didn't know what he was doing. Our Oyler is awesome. I never even use sauce when I eat out of it. As any Texan knows, sauce is just to cover up bland BBQ.

Return to “Request a Recipe”