Recipes similar to Spring Creek Sauce?

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DruW
Pilgrim

Re: Recipes similar to Spring Creek Sauce?

Postby DruW » Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Well, it's been a while, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check in every 5 years or so. I'm still looking for a clone recipe for Spring Creek BBQ sauce. Sort of surprised that one hasn't popped up in all this time.

My all time favorite and maybe forever gone is, well was Chuckwagon BBQ in Denton TX. That's been closed bookoo years now. Spring Creek is probably still my favorite as it is similar to the old Chuckwagon sauce -- same secret ingredient I'm pretty sure.

Not that much BBQ activity to report on up here in CO, but I did pick up a bottle of "Head Country" BBQ sauce at Wally World last week (last bottle, don't know if they'll get more) and was pretty impressed. Would love to know how to make that stuff, too. Unlike Spring Creek, or worse, Chuckwagon, not so worried when I buy a bottle when I need a fix.

Dru
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 am

Welcome back Dru. If ya'd come see us more often maybe I'd give you the secret....... :laughing7:

Actually since the original post I have had the worst ribs of my life from guess where? Even the sauce couldn't help those. The first SC that I ever went to though was and still is always good so they too vary by location.
tarde venientibus ossa....
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Welcome back Dru. If ya'd come see us more often maybe I'd give you the secret....... :laughing7:

Actually since the original post I have had the worst ribs of my life from guess where? Even the sauce couldn't help those. The first SC that I ever went to though was and still is always good so they too vary by location.

I have found that the Spring Creek by my house is fair at best. Also found the one in McKinney to be a good place for lunch when I'm in the area. The food is better and the portion sizes are larger. So yes, they do vary.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

John1
Pilgrim

Postby John1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 am

If some one is looking for Spring creek bbq printable coupon. then he/she can surely visit the below site and save their money.
http://encouponcodes.net/spring-creek-b ... le-coupon/
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 am

If you click the link, you will discover that the coupon has expired.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:25 pm

Spring Creek Barbecue Sauce
1 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. white vinegar
1 c. ketchup
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 of an onion
3 garlic cloves
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Chop onion ñ garlic cloves into small pieces. Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Purée sauce till smooth. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to boil - reduce heat - simmer 30 to 60 minutes till sauce reaches desired thickness. The sauce will stay good in refrigerator about three weeks. SEE Below with the maple syrup

However~ this might help also with this very recipe below was posted on line by Spring Creek when they visited an area ñ grilled the ribs.. Incorporate the maple syrup maybe with the above recipe

full rack of pork ribs
dry rub of your choice (there’s lots of books on dry rubs, etc.
small bottle of maple syrup
your favorite barbeque sauce

Turn on one side of gas grill and heat to 225 °F. Put a pie tin or cookie sheet over flame and sprinkle with wood chips. This will help to create smoke.
Season ribs generously with your favorite rub. Wrap with foil and let sit in the fridge overnight.
Remove foil and place ribs in grill, not over the direct heat. Cook at 225°F. 4 hours, mopping with your favorite barbeque sauce twice during the last 2 hours.
Remove from grill. Glaze with maple syrup then wrap ribs in aluminum foil.
Turn heat up a bit then put ribs back on grill and cook for 2 more hours at 250°F.
Remove from heat, remove foil . Serve with barbeque sauce on the side.

:whiteflag: Here is another tit bit I forgot to add on this They use Hickory to smoke so use hickory smoked liquid in the sauce and here is the other tit bit
- Slow-smoked the ribs over hickory, then charbroiled them for extra flavor :lol:
Last edited by Hj on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 pm

HJ to the rescue!!
I'd make that recipe 'cept I'm fresh out of liquid smoke........might have to go hunt down Jeff and see if I can borrow a cup.
tarde venientibus ossa....
DruW
Pilgrim

Postby DruW » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Well .... a little late to try again and again. 7 years, but still looking for a real spy craft secret recipe for that fabulous SpringCreek BBQ sauce -- or EVEN better the sauce recipe from the old Chuck Wagon / LaSalle's BBQ in Denton TX during the 1970s. The owner / wife of owner lives / lived in Turtle Creek in Dallas, but isn't willing to share and said she had the recipe in a safe deposit box.

Let's be clear on SpringCreek, I'm a big fan only of their sauce and find their Brisket (all I've ever tried) to be acceptable. Nope, it ain't up there with the legends of hand crafted brisket or even tougher to do right -- ribs. But hey, SpringCreek is a chain and somewhere close by wherever you go in "urban" Texas cities. What do you expect?

That sauce was good enough to sue someone over in 1990 --
https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/28/us/a ... eless.html

" ...Last week Mr. Carroll filed suit in Tarrant County District Court against the former employee, Londell Fisher, who had been the manager of Spring Creek for three years and was one of only three people who knew the recipe for the secret sauce..."

Still, there's some secret ingredient in their sauce -- for me -- that beats all the hand crafted boutique BBQers sauces -- even though I haven't yet tried them all -- but -- yes -- I'm willing!!! :)

Dru
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 pm

Best BBQ sauce I had was tony Romeo ?? In Hawaii. Chain restaurants but I've pretty much replicated it here. I use liquid smoke as well.
See ya in 5 years,lmao.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 am

Drew W. Saw the image from the newspaper but can't read the article can you post it so we all can read it thxs
DruW
Pilgrim

Postby DruW » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm

You bet! Absolutely, the sauce trial story should be told, though maybe the problem is not BBQ, but cookies?

The cookies I reference being those infernal little code thingys that tech folks, websites, programmers, secretly leave hidden on your computer in a dark dusty corner that can control what you see -- or don't see. Well, secret until recently until Europe and CA (NH?) passed laws to make those techie folks give you a chance to simply click it all away with a box and we're back to secret normal cookie nirvana (for them).

Here's the cookie the NYTs put on my computer about your question ....

" .... jkidd-s:referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texasbbqforum.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D319075&landing=&start=1606151904544&isNew=1&pageIndex=1 ..."

But if they don't control your ability to see -- the whole -- page on that story you should be able to scroll down and find that whole article in text -- which is where I copy and pasted the quote from.

BBQ beats cookies any day !!!

Dru
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Thxs Dru
DruW
Pilgrim

Postby DruW » Thu May 05, 2022 5:25 pm

Weeeeellllll, it's been a way longer while now, but would still love to find a recipe for "Spring Creek" BBQ sauce (real similar as best I can remember to the LaSalles / Chuckwagon BBQ sauce in ancient 1970s Denton).

Yep, It's purely a personal preference thing. Having traveled the galaxy tasting BBQ sauces -- every chance I get -- this one is still my favorite from way, way back in my college days at NTSU (when I didn't have enough money to afford any).

It still (probably) has that one secret ingredient -- found (only?) in both "Spring Creek" / LaSalles / Chuckwagon BBQ sauces that I haven't yet found in any others -- or found any others that in the long run -- I like better. So, since LaSalles / Chuckwagon closed down and retired to Turtle Creek in Dallas -- and Spring Creek had a big lawsuit over a manager stealing the recipe for his own BBQ joint -- I've had few leads to find this recipe for decades and still looking.

But I will persist and maybe have a big BBQ before my final days.

Dru
Drupub@OneImageDru.com
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon May 09, 2022 6:30 pm

DruW wrote:Weeeeellllll, it's been a way longer while now, but would still love to find a recipe for "Spring Creek" BBQ sauce (real similar as best I can remember to the LaSalles / Chuckwagon BBQ sauce in ancient 1970s Denton).

Yep, It's purely a personal preference thing. Having traveled the galaxy tasting BBQ sauces -- every chance I get -- this one is still my favorite from way, way back in my college days at NTSU (when I didn't have enough money to afford any).

It still (probably) has that one secret ingredient -- found (only?) in both "Spring Creek" / LaSalles / Chuckwagon BBQ sauces that I haven't yet found in any others -- or found any others that in the long run -- I like better. So, since LaSalles / Chuckwagon closed down and retired to Turtle Creek in Dallas -- and Spring Creek had a big lawsuit over a manager stealing the recipe for his own BBQ joint -- I've had few leads to find this recipe for decades and still looking.

But I will persist and maybe have a big BBQ before my final days.

Dru
Drupub@OneImageDru.com

As U know Dru. Just by using a "different" liquid smoked can change the taste of a close copy of a recipe.
In stead of all brown sugar ..possibly use some honey or ½ n ½ brown sugar n honey. in it's place or just some drippings from a meat sauce. Think about that.

Return to “Request a Recipe”