Got a Pineapple...

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks for the link, PT.

Got pineapple spears in rum as we speak. Had a few teetotalers in de bunch, though. :wink:
Image Image
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:39 am

So I fired up the gasser, and came up with this end product

Grilled Chicken marinated in Teriyaki, Pineapple spears/wedges with Rob's Brown Butter Glaze (with a shot of rum added) and fried rice w/stir fry veggies. Good stuff to be sure.

Most of the rest of the Pineapple became Pina Coladas
Fill blender a little over half way with ice cubes and add:
4 TB Sp Creme of Coconut
4 Oz Light Rum
1 cup pineapple
Blend until desire texture is achieved
garnish with pineapple mini-spear and cherry.
Makes two decent sized servings

My gasser has a cast iron grill on one side with a wok insert (or griddle) on the other side.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 am

Dats, that looks like an outstanding meal! Wow!
A quick question for the rum soak; wouldn't grilling it burn most of the alcohol off the fruit?
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:05 am

copkid wrote:Dats, that looks like an outstanding meal! Wow!
A quick question for the rum soak; wouldn't grilling it burn most of the alcohol off the fruit?

Probally, but I used Spiced rum for the flavor. Didn't care if the alcohol burned off or not as there was plenty in my glass at the time :wink: :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:14 am

DATsBBQ wrote:

Probally, but I used Spiced rum for the flavor. Didn't care if the alcohol burned off or not as there was plenty in my glass at the time :wink: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was just thinking of if you served it to kids. Might get them to bed early, though! :shock: :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:20 am

Good eatin' for sure, Dave! I love teriyaki chicken, and that looks like a plate I'd fight over. Never tried rum in the glaze, but that'll be in for the next batch.

My pineapple turned out pretty good. Just went with cinnamon-sugar for a coating. The finished spears had a hint of rum, but the cinnamon-sugar added a couple layers of flavor. The grill doesn't burn off *all* the alcohol this way, though, so if you have concerns with alcohol, skip the soak or maybe try some rum extract.

Image Image
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:20 am

copkid wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was just thinking of if you served it to kids. Might get them to bed early, though! :shock: :lol:

One shot of Spiced Rum in the Brown Butter Glaze, of which I only used about 1/2 of the recipe. Less than 1/8 shot for 4 servings, plus it probally evaporates....I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. 8)
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:23 am

TX Sandman wrote:Good eatin' for sure, Dave! I love teriyaki chicken, and that looks like a plate I'd fight over. Never tried rum in the glaze, but that'll be in for the next batch.

My pineapple turned out pretty good. Just went with cinnamon-sugar for a coating. The finished spears had a hint of rum, but the cinnamon-sugar added a couple layers of flavor. The grill doesn't burn off *all* the alcohol this way, though, so if you have concerns with alcohol, skip the soak or maybe try some rum extract.

Image Image

Great look spears you have there! I've never butchered a pineapple before and think I got mine a little too thick.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:49 am

Here's some info on Alcohol Burn-off

Alcohol Burn-off Chart
The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart
Preparation Method
Percent Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat
85%
alcohol flamed
75%
no heat, stored overnight
70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture
45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time
40%
30 minutes cooking time
35%
1 hour cooking time
25%
1.5 hours cooking time
20%
2 hours cooking time
10%
2.5 hours cooking time
5%
Jim
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 am

Aloha y'all,

Those pineapple spears look great! I went to a market this pm and picked up one. Yep, there was no sweet odor and secondly as Dave said on the one he saw... this one came from Costa Rica even though it had a "Del Monte" label on it.

This time of the year most "Tropical" fruits come from Central and South Americas.

Have a gret week everyone...

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:13 am

Mine was from Mexico and had a musty-sweet odor at the stem end. One store I was at had pineapples, but they had no odor at all and didn't seem quite right, off color or something, I dunno.

Thanks for the compliments, Dave and Honu. My spears came out about 1/2-3/4" thick. Basically I quartered the pineapple, cored it, then quartered each piece. I had 16 spears total.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 am

TX Sandman wrote:Mine was from Mexico and had a musty-sweet odor at the stem end. One store I was at had pineapples, but they had no odor at all and didn't seem quite right, off color or something, I dunno.

Thanks for the compliments, Dave and Honu. My spears came out about 1/2-3/4" thick. Basically I quartered the pineapple, cored it, then quartered each piece. I had 16 spears total.

Rob... Are there any Fiesta's, Carnival's or other Mexican markets near you? I by all of my produce at Fiesta. The produce is much better than any other store around and half the price. Never bought any pineapple there though...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:00 am

nascarchuck wrote:I by all of my produce at Fiesta. The produce is much better than any other store around and half the price.

I've noticed the difference in the produce as well... wonder why that is?

James.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:53 am

JamesB wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:I by all of my produce at Fiesta. The produce is much better than any other store around and half the price.

I've noticed the difference in the produce as well... wonder why that is?

James.

No idea... But I like it! :goof:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:37 am

I like it too...

Remeber when you could go to a single grocer and get everything you needed? Just ain't so no mo...

James.

Return to “Request a Recipe”