Apple Sausage

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Apple Sausage

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 am

I went to a new butcher shop/grocery store last weekend. While there, I noticed they had fresh, made in the shop, apple sausage. Of course, I couldn't resist and bought a couple of pounds. I asked the lady what was the best way to cook it and she said simple patties but another guy said sausage gravy. Last night, I decided to use part of it to make sausage gravy. This is the best smelling sausage I've ever cooked. Seriously, I'd use it just to scent my house. lol It smells like apple and cinnamon. I tasted a bit after I got it cooked and was working on the gravy part. It has a very subtle apple taste with just a hint of cinnamon....not strongly flavored at all. The gravy was definitely not the best way to show off this sausage but I'm completely drawing a blank on what to do with it. I don't think patties would be the best way to use it either.

So do any of you have any ideas?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 am

If the flavor is that subtle, cooking it with almost anything will take away from the taste. Patties may be the best way to use it. :D

You could stuff it with some apple slices, roll it up, and make a fatty out of it, and smoke it with apple wood. Maybe glaze it with honey just before taking it out of the smoker. :D That would make great sandwiches when put on an English muffin or be great with fried taters and eggs. :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:49 am

Another thought. :idea:

Brown some up and use it for the meat in some Two Bite Delights. Bet that would taste good in them. :D or maybe some stuffed dumplings. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:05 am

I'd suggest getting some casings and make some link sausages. Either small ones for breakfast sausage or larger ones for Germain style sausage. With the latter, make some Rye rolls and garnish with a bit of sauted cabbage -prefably red.

Just some ideas.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:31 am

I'm thinkin' good with pancakes.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:01 am

Great ideas! Oooo I like the idea of a fatty. I haven't really liked the ones we've done in the past because I'm not a huge sausage fan. This sausage is perfect for me because of the subtle flavors. The typical spices used just don't appeal to me at all. Darn, I wish the weather would be more cooperative! It's too cold, rainy, and snowy again this weekend to use the smoker.

The Two Bite Delights idea is a great one! I'm thinking of playing with that more next week. I don't think I'll have time this weekend as we're repainting our bedroom.

Dave, I have no idea how to stuff a casing! I think that would be delicious but don't you need some special equipment?

PT, that's another good idea.

You guys have given me a lot of suggestions. Since I plan to go back to that market on a regular basis, I'm sure I'll have lots of time to play with them all!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 am

If it is in casings, either chop, grind, or just remove. Brown up in skillet, and add to a stuffing mix.

Using boneless, skinless chicken breast that are pounded out thin, spoon in some of your stuffing mix (make moist... you don't want it too dry).

Roll up and wrap with bacon... secure with toothpicks.

Smoke, grill, or any combination till chicken is done.

Not from a recipe, just from a Txngent. :twisted:
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 am

You can also add some fresh jalapenos to the stuffing mix for a little spicy kick.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:08 am

I like your idea of stuffed chicken breasts. Have to play around with that as well! I'll play at making my own stuffing as the sage in most of the bought stuff overwhelms me and would definitely kill the subtle flavor of this sausage. Thanks!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Not much of a fan of sweet sausage, but I gotta go with serving it up with something like pancakes for waffles...

Return to “Request a Recipe”