Issue with my BBQ Sauce.

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gumby USER_AVATAR
Gumby
Pilgrim

Issue with my BBQ Sauce.

Postby Gumby » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 pm

I made a BBQ sauce today, kind of had a problem with it. as its got a strong... tangy taste.

I think there is to much vinegar or lemon juice. i reduced it down quiet abit, but i am wondering if anyone knows how to tone down the tang, its a awesome BBQ sauce, it won 1st at the Calgary Stampede.

Recipe:

2 tbsp butter
1 cup ketchup
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:02 am

You can reduce the lemon juice and vinegar OR double down on the brown sugar...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 am

If I were making that for the first time, I think I would back the lemon juice and vinegar down to 1 tbsp each since I can't follow a recipe... and I would think you would get a lot of vinegar twang from the ketchup (depending on brand) anyway.

I'd also be tempted to throw in just a bit of honey in there too. We like a sweeter sauce on most stuff. My $.02
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:46 am

I agree with the others about backing down the vinegar and lemon juice, maybe a little honey or more brown sugar.
Another thing you could do is use plain tomato sauce instead of ketchup.

JAO-YMMV
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Issue with my BBQ Sauce.

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:51 am

Reading this, I'm not surprised you're overloaded with twang. You have vinegar/acid in 3 places, the ketchup, lemon juice, and vinegar.

If you want to save this batch, I'd add more of the other ingredients and either more ketchup or tomato sauce. This'll reduce the concentration of the juice/vinegar. But, from past experience, it isn't usually worth it. I've wound up with half a gallon of so-so sauce I never used. Instead, I'd try again.

For the next time, I'd do like Jim said. Reduce the vinegar and juice to about a tbsp each and gradually add in to taste. You can also eliminate the juice and instead use lemon zest. You'll get more lemon flavor, but not add the acid.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 am

TX Sandman wrote:Reading this, I'm not surprised you're overloaded with twang. You have vinegar/acid in 3 places, the ketchup, lemon juice, and vinegar.

If you want to save this batch, I'd add more of the other ingredients and either more ketchup or tomato sauce. This'll reduce the concentration of the juice/vinegar. But, from past experience, it isn't usually worth it. I've wound up with half a gallon of so-so sauce I never used. Instead, I'd try again.

For the next time, I'd do like Jim said. Reduce the vinegar and juice to about a tbsp each and gradually add in to taste. You can also eliminate the juice and instead use lemon zest. You'll get more lemon flavor, but not add the acid.

Ya forgot the Worchestershire sauce......

Also didn't say anything about preparation. I would cook to a boil then cover and allow to cool slowly. Not cooking or long cooking will make a huge difference in this recipe. I'll repeat what Gator and some others said the balance is really between sweet, sour and heat and you can adjust those after it has been made but may need to rewarm. One more thing BBQ sauce is made to be eaten on meat sometimes when tasted alone it will give you lockjaw or take the top of your head off but served sparingly on meat it is delightful.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gumby USER_AVATAR
Gumby
Pilgrim

Postby Gumby » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:34 am

Appreciate the help guys. Going to try adding abit more of everything minus the vinegar/lemon.

Hopefully i can rescue this, i made a triple batch of it.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:37 am

Papa Tom wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:Reading this, I'm not surprised you're overloaded with twang. You have vinegar/acid in 3 places, the ketchup, lemon juice, and vinegar.

Ya forgot the Worchestershire sauce......

Also didn't say anything about preparation. I would cook to a boil then cover and allow to cool slowly. Not cooking or long cooking will make a huge difference in this recipe. I'll repeat what Gator and some others said the balance is really between sweet, sour and heat and you can adjust those after it has been made but may need to rewarm. One more thing BBQ sauce is made to be eaten on meat sometimes when tasted alone it will give you lockjaw or take the top of your head off but served sparingly on meat it is delightful.

Great point JamesB. To this point my BBQ sauce is pretty tangy, but when you sweet smoke brisket or reeebs and then splash that tangy sauce on there....well...it sure taste good to me!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “Request a Recipe”