Need Good Chicken Jerky Recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Need Good Chicken Jerky Recipe

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Folks I have made beef jerky but I need a good recipe for making chicken jerky as the wife has put her foot down and demanded Chicken Jerky although, to my knowledge, she has never ate any. Thanks
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Need Good Chicken Jerky Recipe

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:14 pm

wheelterrapin wrote:Folks I have made beef jerky but I need a good recipe for making chicken jerky as the wife has put her foot down and demanded Chicken Jerky although, to my knowledge, she has never ate any. Thanks

And neither have I. Prolly for a good reason.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:46 am

I don't have a recipe and I've never had chicken jerky, but I have had some turkey jerky, so there must be a recipe out there somewhere you can adapt... If I stumble across one, I'll let ya know.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 am

The only turkey or chicken type of jerky I've seen was done where they grind the meat and then use one of those Jerky Shooter guns to form the strips, and then put in a dehydrator.

Maybe do a google search for jerky shooters or jerky cannons, most likely sausage places that sell them may have recipes or seasoning kits and cures for doing the chicken.

Maybe you could find a recipe you can adapt to what you want do.
Jim
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 am

OSD wrote:The only turkey or chicken type of jerky I've seen was done where they grind the meat and then use one of those Jerky Shooter guns to form the strips, and then put in a dehydrator.

Maybe do a google search for jerky shooters or jerky cannons, most likely sausage places that sell them may have recipes or seasoning kits and cures for doing the chicken.

Maybe you could find a recipe you can adapt to what you want do.

Yup - I bet that would work. You just need to find some seasoning that would pair well with chicken. Here is a post I did using a jerky gun. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5347&p=48862&hilit=meat+sticks#p48862

Let us know how it turns out!
tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 pm

I'd beg off on the project citing concerns for her health :shock: In the "true" sense, jerky is dried and not cooked. Dehydrators run at about 150°, not nearly hot enough to prevent a case of Salmonellosis. Link here: http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease ... is_gi.html

I'm not a yardbird fan meaning I wouldn't order it off the menu. But I do like eggs with runny yolks so I'm not adverse to risk taking. Your call.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:28 pm

[quote="DATsBBQ"]I'd beg off on the project citing concerns for her health :shock: In the "true" sense, jerky is dried and not cooked. Dehydrators run at about 150°, not nearly hot enough to prevent a case of Salmonellosis. Link here: http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease ... is_gi.html" target="_blank

Got to strongly agree 100% with DATs on making chicken jerky, if you ever get you a case of salmonellosis believe me you will not only know the exact number of them little tiles in your restroom but you will have each one individually named. :shock:
BAR "G"
mavigogun
Pilgrim

Postby mavigogun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 am

DATsBBQ wrote: Dehydrators run at about 150°, not nearly hot enough to prevent a case of Salmonellosis.

Salmonella bacteria are killed by temperatures above 55°C (130°F). The rate at which bacteria are destroyed depends on temperature, species, acidity (pH), and humidity (Angelotti et al.). Ten minutes at 65°C (150°F), or less than two minutes at 70°C (160°F), are both about as effective as an hour at 60°C (140°F). These times and temperatures are sufficient to kill 99.9999% of a particularly heat-resistant strain (S. senftenberg), in custard. (At any given temperature, the proportion of surviving bacteria killed in a given time is constant: it takes one sixth of these times to destroy 90% of the bacteria; one third of the time to kill 99%; half the time to kill 99.9%, and so on. A lethal dose may be as few as 500,000 bacteria.)

The FDA, not trusting the average consumer to appreciate nuance, recommends core temperatures sustained at 165°F for 10 minutes.

So, regarding salmonella and chicken, a dehydrator running at 150°F would be more then adequate.
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:39 am

I've made turkey jerky before. I bought the already cooked bird in the deli use some kind of spice and dried. Turned out pretty good also have done ham the same way.

Return to “Request a Recipe”