Rump Roasts & Bottom Round Steaks

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Rump Roasts & Bottom Round Steaks

Postby tex_toby » Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 am

I was in Albertsons this morning and picked up some rump roasts and bottom round steaks that were both buy one, get two free. Now, I've had my fair share of roasts in the crockpot, but I've never done one on the grill/smoker. Is this a good roast to cook on the pit? As for the steaks, I've never bought a bottom round. I'm sure it's in the tougher category, but what are some ideas to turn it in to something that tastes worth a hoot? Thanks in advance for the tips!

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Rump Roasts & Bottom Round Steaks

Postby OSD » Fri May 15, 2009 11:17 am

Rump roasts do good in the smoker. Two ways to do them.
1.) Cook them to med. rare ( about 130°-135° internal ) and slice very thin against the grain.
2.) Cook them to well done ( around 200° internal ) slice it or chop for BBQ beef sandwiches.

They don't tend to do well cooked in-between. Kind of tough eatin'. I just season them with salt, pepper, and garlic. JWWFM-YMMV

For bottom round, I cut them into smaller pieces, pound them out thin with a tenderizing hammer, and use them for chicken fried steak or slice them thin and grill them for fajita meat.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 15, 2009 12:39 pm

OSD wrote:Rump roasts do good in the smoker. Two ways to do them.
1.) Cook them to med. rare ( about 130°-135° internal ) and slice very thin against the grain.
2.) Cook them to well done ( around 200° internal ) slice it or chop for BBQ beef sandwiches.

Yum... craving roast beef now...
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri May 15, 2009 3:01 pm

I've done rumps on the pit before just like a brisket (seasoned with only S&P) foil at 160° add some white wine and take to 200° even my picky wife likes 'em. Bottom round would become jerky.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Like Papa says. My wife prefers pulled chuck over pulled pork :shock: And its a little more versatile with respects to leftovers.

Bottom round steak....... . Jim's idea of pounding the crap out of it for chicken fried steak ain't bad but personally I'd break out the grinder with an eye towards some beef hot links (assuming they weren't trimmed up too much).
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Request a Recipe”