Vinegar Chicken on the Grille

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Vinegar Chicken on the Grille

Postby bwsdj » Sun May 31, 2009 5:01 pm

I had some vinegar chicken last weekend at a Friends BBQ, The cooks said it was a Family recipe and man was it good. I found a Vinegar recipe online but it didnt taste like the stuff from last week. Does anyone have any recipes they would be willing to share :D :D
BBQ and USF Bulls Football/Tailgating
https://www.facebook.com/fullbullbbq

newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Re: Vinegar Chicken on the Grille

Postby NewBQ » Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm

I found this one on line,

I'm sure it would be better on the grill!

INGREDIENTS:
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
5 teaspoons garlic salt
1 cup cider vinegar

..DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Place chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic salt, then pour vinegar over all.
3.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through, and juices run clear.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun May 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Chicken boiled in vingar sure don't sound too good... :roll:

bwsdj, can ya tell us a bit about the process your friend used? Can you describe the taste? Maybe you could ask them for the recipe and then slip it in here?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 31, 2009 6:47 pm

I remember reading somewhere about a vinegar ( apple cider vinegar ) brine or marinade for chicken. I don't remember where I read about it. I'll try to find it. Maybe this is what they did??
Jim
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Sun May 31, 2009 7:27 pm

JamesB wrote:Chicken boiled in vingar sure don't sound too good... :roll:

bwsdj, can ya tell us a bit about the process your friend used? Can you describe the taste? Maybe you could ask them for the recipe and then slip it in here?

James, they don't boil it in the vinegar, they Grille the chicken and like every 10 mins or so they dip it into a pot of the vinegar concoction . I gotta tell you at first i didn't think it sounded to good but after trying there's, it was FANTASTIC. I am hoping i can get them to give me the recipe. Its a Family secret they told me and if they did give it to me they made me promise not to divulge it.
BBQ and USF Bulls Football/Tailgating
https://www.facebook.com/fullbullbbq

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 pm

I was refering to the recipe posted calling for a cup of vinegar... :lol:

I understand what your saying now. I've seen them do chicken in a very similar manner in Alabama... Only difference was they were using very large pits (feeding a big crowd) and they were mopping the stuff on the chicken halves... I think I would start off with 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 water along with salt, pepper, garlic and other seasoning... Might have to give it a go soonish...
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 pm

bwsdj wrote:I had some vinegar chicken last weekend at a Friends BBQ, The cooks said it was a Family recipe and man was it good. I found a Vinegar recipe online but it didnt taste like the stuff from last week. Does anyone have any recipes they would be willing to share :D :D

Check out www.virtualweberbullet.com and do a search on road side chicken in the yardbird recipe section of the forum. I think that may be what you had at your friends BBQ AND BESIDES THAT IT'S FINGER LICKEN GOOD.
BAR "G"
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 am

OH Yes that is it delicious

Cut whole chicken in half (not pieces

Season chicken both sides with salt-pepper or season after cooking ------ IN a large spray bottle

Add vinegar-honey n little water ....Spray chicken one side -place on hot grills with Mesquite wood or plain coals-turn chicken-spray again-turning often spay as often as possible but not saturated...OH in Erie, Pa. they did huge grates of this for the Lake parties..Think it was the fireman at Conneanut Park..

Fireman had these long lines of grates with HOTcharcoal under-throw halfed chicken on grate n just spray n turn-spray n turn till -chicken was completely cooked...OH Yes those were tasty.

Back than they sold for $1.00 for a half chicken...Those days are looooooooooooonnnnnnnnng gone.Lol

Can't remember if white or apple cidar vinegar was used..but try both it was a simple mix.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Might try some balsamic vinegar as well. Little bit sweeter and thicker.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 pm

I think this might be it.
Posted August 14, 2005 02:28 AM
If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this. I've been making this for about 15 years now and it's pretty darn good.
ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy