Need a chicken chili recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

moejones USER_AVATAR
moejones
Pilgrim

Need a chicken chili recipe

Postby moejones » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Need a chicken chili recipe fror a chili cook off.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Need a chicken chili recipe

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Moe ya jump in here and first thing ya want is our grand champion chicken chili recipe. I'm glad ya jumped in but I don't really have a GC chicken chili recipe as a matter of fact I've never made CC. But if'n you'd stop by the Wanted section and tell us a little more about yourself I'll bet that a worthy recipe or two will shake out..
tarde venientibus ossa....
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:27 pm

OK here is a recipe.
It is a modification of one of my pork chili recipes that have in fact won awards. I have not tried this so if'n it ain't good see my signature line below.

Chicken Green Chile Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, coarsely cubed
Kosher salt, to taste
Cracked white pepper, to taste
2 cups yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup jalapeño chile, minced
1 cup New Mexico green chiles, seeded, stemmed and minced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
3 cups tomatillos, roasted, peeled and puréed
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
24 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Over a fire or stove burner, heat olive oil in a cast-iron pot. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, onion, jalapeño and New Mexico chiles, and garlic. Cook until the chicken is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile simmer the tomatillos to reduce by 1/3 to 2 cups.

Add the tomatillo purée to the chicken mixture and simmer for 45 minutes. When done, sprinkle with jack cheese and serve with tortillas.

Makes about 6 servings.

Variations: Freshly toasted and ground comino, cilantro, coriander seeds.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 pm

One of my Dad's favorites.

SOUTHWEST WHITE CHILI

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans
Cheese and green onions for garnish

Heat olive oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Add chicken; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Remove chicken with slotted spoon, cover and keep warm. Add chopped onion to saucepan and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, green chilies, garlic powder, ground cumin, oregano leaves, cilantro and ground red pepper, simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and beans; simmer an additional 10 minutes. Garnish with cheese and sliced green onions. Four servings, 340 calories each serving, 6 grams of fat.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:34 pm

DJ,Papa Tom, I'm sorry but I got to put in my two cents here. I will help an one if I am asked, but I sure wouldn't give up a recipe to someone who is going to use it in a comp. How would you feel if yours turns out to win the big money and you don't even get honorable mention. Dose the term plagiarism sound familiar to you. Hope I didn't step out of line or on any ones toes.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 pm

You might find something you like here...

http://www.chilicooks.com/

When you get a chance, wander on over to the Wanted Posters section and tell us a bit about yerself. Might get a bit more help if folks know who you are...
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm

BluDawg wrote:DJ,Papa Tom, I'm sorry but I got to put in my two cents here. I will help an one if I am asked, but I sure wouldn't give up a recipe to someone who is going to use it in a comp. How would you feel if yours turns out to win the big money and you don't even get honorable mention. Dose the term plagiarism sound familiar to you. Hope I didn't step out of line or on any ones toes.

Blu Blu I haven't done a comp in at least a year now (although I have judged in a couple) and I can't forsee myself ever entering a chicken chili anyway. If'n he gets the call with my help I just hope he says thanks and then I'd be happy too. I don't have too many secrets anymore and I will help anybody that asks.
I understand if someone was regularly doing comps they might want to keep some things close to the vest but any comps I do are strictly for the fun and camaraderie.
moejones USER_AVATAR
moejones
Pilgrim

Postby moejones » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 am

The chili cook off has no prizes. I was told to just to make a pot of chili to help feed the bikers who will be doing the Toys for Tots run. There will be a number of others who will be making their chili and IU jusst figured chicken wiould be different so I do not want any ones special recipe just a basic recipe.

BluDawg wrote:DJ,Papa Tom, I'm sorry but I got to put in my two cents here. I will help an one if I am asked, but I sure wouldn't give up a recipe to someone who is going to use it in a comp. How would you feel if yours turns out to win the big money and you don't even get honorable mention. Dose the term plagiarism sound familiar to you. Hope I didn't step out of line or on any ones toes.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:54 am

At a chili comp (all locals) to support the volunteer FD/EMS a while back a lady won first place by heating up Safeway Brand Chili with no doctoring :shock: A true from the can to pan success story!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 am

DATsBBQ wrote:At a chili comp (all locals) to support the volunteer FD/EMS a while back a lady won first place by heating up Safeway Brand Chili with no doctoring :shock: A true from the can to pan success story!

Yep at cook-offs ya never know. Once in a chili cook-off I entered the winner was a lady that cooked a really ordinary really mild chili with beans and yes this was in Texas. I took the peoples choice award with my concoction that used cubed meat lots of green chiles and no beans.

BTW Good Luck Moe.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

No problem on my end. Just hope it turns out as good as my Dads, RIP.
dj

Papa Tom wrote:

Blu Blu I haven't done a comp in at least a year now (although I have judged in a couple) and I can't forsee myself ever entering a chicken chili anyway. If'n he gets the call with my help I just hope he says thanks and then I'd be happy too. I don't have too many secrets anymore and I will help anybody that asks.
I understand if someone was regularly doing comps they might want to keep some things close to the vest but any comps I do are strictly for the fun and camaraderie.

Caldwell, Texas Native
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:22 pm

DJ, thanks Man. I renamed it "DJ's Dad's White Chile". Got it saved for sure. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Sounds good, Thanks Bill
ChileFarmer wrote:DJ, thanks Man. I renamed it "DJ's Dad's White Chile". Got it saved for sure. CF :D

Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “Request a Recipe”