recommanded Turkey recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

recommanded Turkey recipe

Postby simon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:32 am

Howdy folks,

saw here some recipies of turkey lefotvers. I´m lookin´for a darn good and easy recipe for the entire bird. On T-giving in 2 weeks it will be my first time of smokin´a turkey

I bought the bird yesterday, it was a quite little one, 8 lbs.

So, which way do ya recommand. Smoke at 225 F oder indirect @ 350 F for a crispy skin ? How long takes the cook with the different methodes ?

Wich rub ?

To brine or inject ?

Questions over questions...

Thanks for your help
Greetings

Simon
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: recommanded Turkey recipe

Postby egghead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:16 am

This was a 12# bird - real moist. Spatchcocked and grilled on a raised grid at 400 degrees for approximately 1-1/2 hours over a tray of veggies. A tray of water under the bird for indirect heat will work as well. For a turkey I would use a small amount of a light flavored wood like cherry or apple - hickory is too heavy. The breast is done at 160 but the thighs need to go to 185. Icing down the breast for 30-45 minutes will get the breast and thighs to finish about the same time instead of overcooking the breast and drying it out. I recommend icing the breast regardless of the method you are cooking - whole or spatchcocking.

Brine if you want to - just salt water. I don't brine or inject.

Just rub the bird down with some butter then your favorite seasoning or rub - I use a rub for chicken or Tony Chachere's. For turkey, I stay away from a heavy sugar rub and go with savory rather than sweet.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 am

Here are few using various methods. IMHO, the brined bird was the juiciest. None of these birds were pumped up, just the cheap ones at the store.
Brined and stuffed: http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/Tu ... 22007.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Injected but not stuffed: http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/Turkey21Jun09.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Plain and stuffed: http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/TD2000.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

I prefer the birds stuffed and when roasted on the kettle (400°?) there isn't much danger of food poisoning as they take about 12 minutes per pound (three hours for a 15# bird). The one bird above that wasn't stuffed was smoked at 245° for 7.5 hours. Too long at low temps for me to feel good about stuffing it.

Good luck on your bird. Is Tday a big holiday in Deutchland?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:22 am

I prefer to cook all poultry, hot. 300° - 350° works for me. If I'm just done a couple for the family, I like to brine.

Using this brine again this year.
http://www.thebbqshack.com/brine.htm
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:37 am

DAT's you went and got me hungry, those are some fine looking birds. I am having a hard time not cooking up the bird in the freezer.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:56 am

DATs some killer birds Dave - real nice. I think I need a nap after viewing the birds. :lol:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Postby simon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:02 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Good luck on your bird. Is Tday a big holiday in Deutchland?

We don´t have Tday in Germany. We have a similar day in the beginning of October, where we thanks god for the harvest. But its not a holiday, its a normal sunday.

But I get more and more a Texan, so I have to celebrate the same holidays :mrgreen:

Thanks for your hints !
Greetings

Simon
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:39 pm

simon wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:Good luck on your bird. Is Tday a big holiday in Deutchland?

We don´t have Tday in Germany. We have a similar day in the beginning of October, where we thanks god for the harvest. But its not a holiday, its a normal sunday.

But I get more and more a Texan, so I have to celebrate the same holidays :mrgreen:

Thanks for your hints !

Then next year you should be celebrating :texas: Texas Independence Day (March 2) & :texas: San Jacinto Day (April 21).
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters

Return to “Request a Recipe”