A Visit to Ruff's Barbeque Shoppe, a SuckleBusters retailer

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

A Visit to Ruff's Barbeque Shoppe, a SuckleBusters retailer

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 pm

located in Golden Colorado. Gator mentioned that he had a BBQ shop in Colorado carry his line of goodies. I was a tad skeptical about a store dedicated to Q in this neck of woods. Not that it couldn't happen, but if you're lucky to find a dealer for smokers, they probally also sell hot tubs, patio furniture an or sell siding.

Happened to be in the area today and took a 6 block detour and stopped by to see what's going on there.

Well they carry Traeger, King Fisher, Primo Ovals, Backwoods and a couple other names that aren't important for this discourse 8) And it was lump charcoal heaven. Picked up a 20# sack of Royal Oak lump for $16.00.

Gator got 2 facings of the BBQ sauce, 4 facings of Rubs (1 ea) and 3 faces of Hot Sauces (1ea). All the facings were at eye level or Shoulder level. Being the bottom rack has to suck. :wink:

The hot sauces were to the left of Dave's Insanity. DI is the only hot sauce I buy on a repeat basis (other than tobasco for cooking), and I'm almost out..... but bought a bottle of SuckleBusters Texas Heat Habanero Pepper Sauce instead.

Here's where I might get fired.....

Wait, here's a picture of the sauce along with my new tool that came in the mail today.

Got the knife from http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ?s=VN40632 for $58 (list $91) and they included priority mail delivery in that price. It's a 12" Scimitar and sharp as all get out.

Back to the sauce. It reminded me of Tiger Sauce, just not as sweet, and really missing on the heat. I'd say a tad bit over medium if you rate, trying to come with a common denominator....Taco Bell Fire Sauce is mild to medium to me. OK, so while it has a pretty good flavor the Heat/Fire isn't there for me. But I bet a lot of folks think it's pretty hot. Put more Habs in there and you'd have a sure fire winner to be sure.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:36 pm

But this habanero sauce you can eat.

I had a bottle of DI sauce years ago and use to make chili it...after one bite, people looked at me like I was crazy :roll: :twisted: :shock:

My wife will not let that stuff in the house any more, as I have apparently offended too many people back in the day.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Dave - no worries, I have a pure Habanero sauce in the works for true hot heads. :wink: The current habanero sauce is a chile pepper blend with habanero added, it's about a 6 or 7 on a heat scale of 1 to 10, the pure habanero is closer to 9, it's REALLY hot. I cant taste anything but pain on the new one, but like you said - but some folks like it that way. 8)

Good news on the store front. 8)
Last edited by Gator on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 pm

Gator wrote:Dave - no worries, I have a pure Habanero sauce in the works for true hot heads. :wink: The current habanero sauce is a blend, it's about a 6 or 7 on a heat scale of 1 to 10, the pure blend is closer to 9, it's REALLY hot. I cant taste anything but pain on the new one, but like you said - but some folks like it that way. 8)

Good news on the store front. 8)

Good move Gator some of us like a sauce to add a few dabs at the table to kick up our plate without making momma mad at us for ruining the pot.
Too few sauces good for that purpose. BTW I don't like the funky aged taste of Tabasco. Many other sauces are heavy on the vinegar taste when ya add enough to "feel" it.
Did anyone even notice that when the hurricane smacked down New Orleans it had to steamroll New Iberia but there was never a shortage of Tabasco?
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Thats a pretty serious lookin knife! I Like It.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Is a great looking knife and thanks for the critique. I cant imagine anybody liking Daves Insanity Sauce. Old guest worker chum tricked a dumb yuppie gringo into trying a little on a taurpolian chip..ambulance had to come get him. Made his tongue swell and airways slam shut..blah blah blah. Can't live without my Sirriachi. Yall can keep the rest of that stuff.

bigwheel
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Dave, great knife, I love mine. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 pm

I'd love to be on panel for the "hot head" sauce :D 8)

The knife..... I let the Mrs open the package. I think that for a moment she thought that I'd lost my mind.

I reminded her that "our" knife was only half the cost of "her" Sorels. Whilst I feel good about my debate point, I feel the true cost hasn't been felt yet. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”