Sucklebusters Salsa Part II

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Sucklebusters Salsa Part II

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu May 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Well I decided to split this thread because I decided to blend the tomatoes and make a sort of not so chunky salsa. Here's the results

Chip test

Feedback

I purchased "petite" diced tomatoes made by hunts because my 3 yr old loves "chips and sauce" and thought the petite would suit him. I'm not a chunky salsa guy so I figured I could blend 1/2 of it.

My wife said, why don't you just blend it all so everyone can enjoy it, so I did, as you can see with the photo's.

My 3 yr old decided it was too hot for his young taste buds, which was ok because I knew that meant more for me and the wife.

Now, I like hot foods, sauces, etc...my wife can tolerate so much. I like the heat but for someone who is not use to hot foods this might be too much. I might suggest a "medium" and a "hot" option for the salsa. This I would put in the hot section. Others might disagree but my wife uses the Sucklebusters Cajun Pepper Sauce on a regular basis.

After I blended the salsa I added a lime squeeze, which cut some of the heat. We both loved the taste and flavor and agreed we would offer it to friends and family. Could taste the garlic and onion and liked the "freshness" of the salsa.

When I say 'freshness' I mean that even though the tomatoes came from a can it still tasted fresher (if that's a word) than a commercially packaged salsa.

I suggested it needed maybe some Cilantro to add to more of the Salsa taste. My wife added that it might be a good idea to add that on the package as an "addition" to the salsa along with adding lime.

Other than that I would use this salsa pretty much anything I used salsa on (tacos, burritos, enchiladas, chips and salsa, chicken breast, eggs). Being from Kansas we do have a large hispanic influence in my area and I would put this stuff up against any of the best salsa's I've had locally.

It's a great product Gator and I would purchase and use this product on a regular basis. Hope this helps!
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Re: Sucklebusters Salsa Part II

Postby Rich777 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Good post Steer! You brought up "freshness", one of my co-workers also mentioned how fresh it tasted over store bought salsa.
a stumpted toe hurts
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu May 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Wouldn't be as easy but a person could blanch, peel,chop fresh tomatoes to use and make it a really fresh salsa.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm

I like the idea of a less chunky salsa...
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

All good ideas.

Steer - thanks for the taste test results. I suspect blending the salsa smooth causes the jalapenos to be more pronounced and that is souce of the extra heat factor. I'll try a test batch myself and see if the heat kicks up due to blending. I have a pretty good lick of cilantro in there but I think since it is dried it loses flavor. I also have lime in there - Maybe I should try a kicked up lime and cilantro version....hummmm. Good feedback.

Yes, I agree on the fresh feeling this salsa gives...was hoping for this result. I think that since we dont have to add preservatives, it makes for a fresher tasting salsa even though we are using canned tomoatoes. Papa has a good point and another avenue would be to use fresh chopped tomatoes, maybe call that the "pico de gallo" recipe option.

A brave soul might go with rotel tomatoes, I suspect this would end up pretty spicy.

Lost of testing to be done.

:)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Gator made some leftover pulled pork tacos, and whipped up the SB salsa.
I was very impressed as to how easy it was to make the salsa, and I really feel that this will be an item that many will buy for the convienence. Taste is really deep in flavors which I like, and the longer it had time to sit and mix, it just got better to me. One thing for me was I had no heat in my salsa and not enough Cilantro. Now that said, i dont have to have tremendous heat each time i have salsa, but I have a regimen each day of eating a salsa that a woman makes for me that is, Jalapenos, onion, garlic, and salt, nothing else, and it will set you on fire sometimes, but the flavor is wonderful, so my idea of not enough heat may be really differ from some. For me , as far as a mild salsa goes, it would be hard to beat this one. I myself think you have a winner as is, without my suggestions. Donna will be giving me her thoughts tomorrow when she tries the salsa, and I'll post her thoughts.
Thanks Gator
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 08, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks Bluz, I'll need to come up with a hot one for you!

;)
Gator

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 am

I would agree that blending up the mix makes the peppers hotter. You know me Gator, I like your hot sauces and the salsa to me had as much heat. Other reviewers said it had some heat but not too bad, I thought to myself wow, this is hotter than I expected but I liked it.
Another suggestion would be to offer "suggestions" on the package like squeeze of lime or tablespoon fresh cilantro or something along those lines for the consumer to add them if they wish. Anyway, it's great stuff, thanks for the sample! Lastly, I blended it just enough to get the tomatoes less chunky, there was still some chunks in there but not a lot.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks Dan.

Another recipe we tried was adding the package to about 1/3 cup of water and letting the veggies rehydrate, then mixing with 4 large avacados. It made a pretty good batch of guacamole.
Gator

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri May 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Last night after the salsa had aged a day I sampled again.
It was thicker yet guess if ya run into non juicy diced tomatoes ya might need to add a bit of water or tomato juice or maybe V8.
Garlic.......I'm going to go on record to say too much garlic. It definitely is dominating the flavor balance and I like garlic. I'll bet it would be good in the guacamole recipe though.
Heat........I'm going to say medium on the Pace scale. Fine with me but I'm sure the wife would prefer milder.
Visual.......Really good, chunky and colorful beats the bottled stuff hands down.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Papa - notes taken on the garlic. I ended up with chopped garlic + garlic powder in the test batches. For the next recipe I plan to use minced garlic + garlic granules...I think this may address your taste test results...thanks for the feedback.

On the heat factor - Im shooting for medium heat in the base recipe.
Gator

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Wow, lots of threads on the salsa, posted mine over in Chucks original prior to reading these but figgered I'd weigh in here as well with my thoughts vs. some of the others. PT's will serve as my guide.
Definitly agree with the Thick comment as I said the same thing in my other post.
Garlic.....Neither the wife nor I found it to be overpowered with garlic and thought it was jus about right. Perhaps not as much garlic in my package?
Heat......Both of us would have preferred more if anything, did not find it hot at all
Visual....I was impressed.
dj

Papa Tom wrote:Last night after the salsa had aged a day I sampled again.
It was thicker yet guess if ya run into non juicy diced tomatoes ya might need to add a bit of water or tomato juice or maybe V8.
Garlic.......I'm going to go on record to say too much garlic. It definitely is dominating the flavor balance and I like garlic. I'll bet it would be good in the guacamole recipe though.
Heat........I'm going to say medium on the Pace scale. Fine with me but I'm sure the wife would prefer milder.
Visual.......Really good, chunky and colorful beats the bottled stuff hands down.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”