My attempt at chili!

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

My attempt at chili!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 am

Started off with about 3 pounds of ground pork shoulder. Yep, wild pork! I cubed it all up and seasoned it with salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, and a tad bit of brown sugar; let it mellow out overnight in the fridge then ground it up the next day. Here it is browning in the pan!

I also took the bone and simmered it with some carrots and celery to make some stock, no pics of that lol. I seasoned again using more of the same stuff I put on the cubed shoulder, but added garlic and onion, added the stock I made, and simmered for about an hour. When I was ready for the tomato sauce, I made that as well! Took about 15 ripe Roma tomatoes and boiled them for about 6 minutes. Then peeled and chopped them and tossed them into a pan with some basil, salt, pepper, and a little more chili powder. Let that simmer for about 40 minutes, then into a blender it went. After all blended up, I added to the pot and let simmer for another 3 hours. Talk about good!

This is the second batch of chili I have ever made, and the first batch without using one of those chili kits. The taste was exactly what I was looking for, but overall, it just looks boring. I am not one that enjoys beans in my chili, but I don't think a can or so of some reds would have hurt it.
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

My attempt at chili!

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 am

Looks fine to me. Nothing better than some homemade chili. No need to turn it into stew with those beans.

When we cook a bunch like that and have leftovers I usually make spaghetti red out of it. Serve the chili over spaghetti noodles with a big like of shredded cheese on it. Good stuff.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: My attempt at chili!

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Yep, sure looks like the real deal. Nice. CF :D

Looks fine to me. Nothing better than some homemade chili. No need to turn it into stew with those beans.
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks! On another note, I added some ketchup to the leftovers; just a tad. Maybe 1/2 cup or so to about 1.5 quarts of chili. This kicked the flavor into overdrive without being overpowering. I don't know how to explain it :(
(Insert witty signature here)
Joseph
Pilgrim

Postby Joseph » Fri May 12, 2017 5:25 am

Wow, it looks so awesome. I just going to make but to sure myself I opened this page and after that I prepared this recipe and it turned out superb. Thank you so much for sharing this.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:46 am

If you want to spruce up the visual, you could always throw in some rough chopped bell peppers and onions.

But I think it looks fine.

I prefer to leave that stuff on the side and let people add it in as desired.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 am

:!: Postby Txdragon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 am :!:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

LOL....oops. :oops:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 am

:laughing7: :D :lol: yup, 'ol Joseph's been "exhuming chili posts" this morning - - - nothing personal, Joseph, just picking atcha a little - - BTW, Welcome to the Forum :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Chili Heads”