Question on making chili powder

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

krshome
Pilgrim

Question on making chili powder

Postby krshome » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Hey all, I have just been bitten by the chili bug. I never could make a really good chili till just recently. I now want to start making my own chili powder but need some help. I don't want your secret recipes just help on starting to creating my own. Is there a certain pepper that is used in all chili powder? is there a ratio of certain peppers that should always be used before I start adding my own? I have seen some recipes add salt cumin garlic and other spices is this normal in chili powder? I have tried the recipe from the Amazing Ribs site and its good in his recipes but not necessarily in a bowl of chili. Thanks for reading and any help you provide.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Question on making chili powder

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 pm

My free advice.

If you really want to experience a better flavor - start with fresh, pure ground chile with an "e" powder which will actually be a blend of several different chiles to maintain consistency. I personally like to blend with light and dark chiles with some sort of twist like chipoltes or pasilla...ect for excitement and additional cayenne for heat. A good chili seasoning recipe generally contains about 80 - 90% pure chile powder + the rest other spices and a small amount of salt.

Otherwise start with chili with an "i" seasoning - they already include; salt, cumin, garlic & oregano...ect. There are thousands of good chili seasonings on the market, no need to reinvent the wheel...IMO, just grab a couple and mix them.

Good luck.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
krshome
Pilgrim

Postby krshome » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Gator wrote:My free advice.

If you really want to experience a better flavor - start with fresh, pure ground chile with an "e" powder which will actually be a blend of several different chiles to maintain consistency. I personally like to blend with light and dark chiles with some sort of twist like chipoltes or pasilla...ect for excitement and additional cayenne for heat. A good chili seasoning recipe generally contains about 80 - 90% pure chile powder + the rest other spices and a small amount of salt.

Otherwise start with chili with an "i" seasoning - they already include; salt, cumin, garlic & oregano...ect. There are thousands of good chili seasonings on the market, no need to reinvent the wheel...IMO, just grab a couple and mix them.

Good luck.

Thanks Gator I have just been schooled! So question if I make a chili (i) seasoning when I make my actual pot of chili will all my spices now be in the mix? Essentially I have just made a chili mix? I'm looking for more the Chile (e) powder. What chile peppers work the best for a base (Anchos, Pasilla, New Mexico)? and what other spice 10-20% are normally added? Thanks for the help
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm

krshome wrote:
Gator wrote:My free advice.

Good luck.

Thanks Gator I have just been schooled! So question if I make a chili (i) seasoning when I make my actual pot of chili will all my spices now be in the mix? Essentially I have just made a chili mix? I'm looking for more the Chile (e) powder. What chile peppers work the best for a base (Anchos, Pasilla, New Mexico)? and what other spice 10-20% are normally added? Thanks for the help

Yes.

Common ingredients are salt, cumin, garlic, oregano, coriander, pepper, onion....

As for which Chile, research for the characteristics of the chile (heat, color, taste..ect) and decide what you are looking for, then pick a chile to match.

Penderys has a good choice, I use them for pure chile powders.
Gator

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 pm

I use a mix of Ancho Passilla and Guaijillo and a few Tepines and /or Chili de Arbols
I quit grinding mine I take the pods and toast them in my Big CI skillet cover with hot water and let them steep for 30 min while I brown off my meat. Then I pull off the stems and into the blender they go with the soaking water a few min on high and into the pot it goes with all the usual suspects .
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:56 pm

BluDawg wrote:I use a mix of Ancho Passilla and Guaijillo and a few Tepines and /or Chili de Arbols
I quit grinding mine I take the pods and toast them in my Big CI skillet cover with hot water and let them steep for 30 min while I brown off my meat. Then I pull off the stems and into the blender they go with the soaking water a few min on high and into the pot it goes.

Good idea if you can get dried chiles.
Gator

krshome
Pilgrim

Postby krshome » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

BluDawg wrote:I use a mix of Ancho Passilla and Guaijillo and a few Tepines and /or Chili de Arbols
I quit grinding mine I take the pods and toast them in my Big CI skillet cover with hot water and let them steep for 30 min while I brown off my meat. Then I pull off the stems and into the blender they go with the soaking water a few min on high and into the pot it goes with all the usual suspects .

That is a really good idea. What do you do with seeds remove them or just blend them into the mix? I here seeds make it bitter.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm

[/quote]
That is a really good idea. What do you do with seeds remove them or just blend them into the mix? I here seeds make it bitter.[/quote]

I'll get out as many seeds a possible, reconstitute, run them through the blender, then strain out any bits that didn't get pureed. Some of the dried skins don't really rehydrate or puree well.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:09 pm

+1 on chiles de arbol for the heatness.

Return to “Chili Heads”