chili blend recommendations?

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ncage
Pilgrim

chili blend recommendations?

Postby ncage » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi guys. I was looking into buying some ancho chile powder (hard to find in my area) and was doing some research into reputable places to buy chile powder online. It looks like a lot of people in competition use Pendrys & Mild Bills. I will probably be going with Mild Bills (they are cheaper). I'm already ordering

Ancho Chile Powder
Pasilla Chile Powder
Chamayo Mild Powder
Hatch Green & Red Mild

I'd also like to get a really good chili blend. Of course its hard to tell by the name which one to choose. Id like a blend that is mild to medium-mild (i can always add heat to suite my taste). I also like a very smoky chili.

I don't know if it matters but i don't make competition chili and never will. I making eating chili :).

Don't laugh but this is my standard chile powder now:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: chili blend recommendations?

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. In the event you haven't figured it out this forum is sponsored up a spice company called Sucklebusters that makes the best blends that I know of. Their chili powder is splendid, sounds like you would prefer the original standard chili powder.
Others that are recommended Gebhardts and Fiesta.

Just click on the Sucklebusters logo in the upper RH corner.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Plus 1 for Papa Tom's post.

Plus, Mild Bills may be cheaper, but their service and shipping sucks. Placed an order on the 19th of Dec., their website said everything ordered before the 22nd would be shipped before Christmas/by the 24th. They didn't even ship it until the 6th of Jan. They tried to blame it on the Post Office. Showed up with a postmark of the 6th of Jan. And all items I ordered were listed as in stock. With service like that, I'll never spend another cent with them.
Mark Crigler
ncage
Pilgrim

Postby ncage » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Welcome to the forum. In the event you haven't figured it out this forum is sponsored up a spice company called Sucklebusters that makes the best blends that I know of. Their chili powder is splendid, sounds like you would prefer the original standard chili powder.
Others that are recommended Gebhardts and Fiesta.

Just click on the Sucklebusters logo in the upper RH corner.

dooohh i guess i didn't realize it the sponsorship. I've heard of Gebhardts of course (i just wish you could buy it in bigger quantities :(. I think mexene is another one recommended a lot of time (again only small bottles :( ). I've never heard of Fiesta. Where can i buy that?
ncage
Pilgrim

Postby ncage » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:32 pm

jmcrig wrote:Plus 1 for Papa Tom's post.

Plus, Mild Bills may be cheaper, but their service and shipping sucks. Placed an order on the 19th of Dec., their website said everything ordered before the 22nd would be shipped before Christmas/by the 24th. They didn't even ship it until the 6th of Jan. They tried to blame it on the Post Office. Showed up with a postmark of the 6th of Jan. And all items I ordered were listed as in stock. With service like that, I'll never spend another cent with them.

Wow i thought they had a good reputation. I guess i thought wrong. Only thing i remember i found was some fiasco about them saying they had Gebhardts available in bulk.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Penzey's is who I use, for all my bulk ingredients. I've been really happy with their quality and service, plus they have a store in north Dallas where they stock everything they offer online. As was mentioned, also, the Sucklebusters product line is outstanding as well. I've used a few of their products lately since I can get it in downtown McKinney (not far from me).
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 pm

If you're looking for larger/bulk quantities, PM Gator on here. He's Sucklebusters, and might be able to help. I have used both his chili mixes, and have been very happy with both. But if he doesn't have what you want, he may be able to help.
Mark Crigler
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 am

Two of the items I use when making chili are dark chili powder and smoked paprika.
I usually split the chili powder, half dark and half medium. Add the smoked paprika to taste.
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 am

[/quote]
dooohh i guess i didn't realize it the sponsorship. I've heard of Gebhardts of course (i just wish you could buy it in bigger quantities :(. I think mexene is another one recommended a lot of time (again only small bottles :( ). I've never heard of Fiesta. Where can i buy that?[/quote]

Bolners Fiesta Brand spices is out of San Antonio and commonly have a section in the spice section of supermarkets here. Just Google them to check them out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:27 pm

I've bought fresh ground chili powder from Mild Bill's before. They ground the powder only after receiving your order. My order took about a month to get. The reason being is, they wait until enough orders come in to make one large grind instead many little ones.

http://mildbillsspices.com/
~Aaron
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Bolner's or Fiesta brand are the same thing. Their store in SA is one of our musts everytime we go to SA. They package most everything from salt shaker size to gallon jugs. HEB usually will have a good selection to try out...

https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=product_index
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm

I get my bulk seasoning from Penderys - no complaints there.

I like thier San Antonio Red chili powder, its very similar to the old Gebharts, which I think went out of business...Ft Worth light is another good 'un.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat May 06, 2017 9:55 am

Gebharts is or was a really good and long time favorite ever since I can remember...
a spice grinder does wonders with whole peppers for you do it your selfers.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Chili Heads”