1st comp coming up

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mph USER_AVATAR
MPH
Pilgrim

1st comp coming up

Postby MPH » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey all,

I have my first chili comp coming up with around 15 teams from church. I love Sucklebusters seasonings in general, and will be using that with the general recipe Gator uses. Weird question; I usually put in my homemade chicken stock instead of water, but had a idea to do a bone broth from femur bones and add the marrow as well for some more depth of flavor. Has anyone tried this, or have a yea or nay? Also, should I stick with an onion and green/red peppers, or do the trinity adding some celery?

I'll take some pics and try to add them when I cook on Sat.

Thanks,
Mike
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: 1st comp coming up

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Mike - non-sanctioned contests like that are tricky (speaking from experience), it all depends on who shows up to judge...I saw a chili made from smoked pork butt and green sauce take first place one time - no exactly what I would call chili in Texas.

As far a depth of flavor - yep real stock is better IMO. However in chili, I use beef vs chicken stock.

Another trick is to make it "beans optional" - if you can have a pot of beans there and ask each person - with or without. 50%+ prefer beans (yeah I know)...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 am

Speaking of non-sanctioned contests, once a person took #1 with using only canned Safeway chile heated up. No additional seasonings or ingredients. Makes a person wonder where the judges got their credentials. :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:35 am

Roasting the bones at 400 for +/- 45 minutes kicks up the beef stock nicely.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ho ... eef_stock/

Good luck with it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Chili Heads”