Caribbean Smoked Pork Shoulder turned into Chili

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Caribbean Smoked Pork Shoulder turned into Chili

Postby bogiedr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 pm

In keeping with tradition, (mine ;) ), I smoked a pork shoulder using the traditional Puerto Rican seasonings ... tons of adobo, sofrito, and garlic like you are scaring off a vampire!! Put it on the Kamado Joe at 250 for about 8 hours and it was delicious! I made a 7 pounder so I fed a few people and had about 2 pounds left. Was not sure what to do with the leftovers :scratch: then it came to me ... Chili!!!!
Sautéed onions, red peppers and finely minced garlic in olive oil. Added cumin, salt, black pepper, chili powder and chipotle powder. After cooking a few minutes I added the pulled pork which I had chopped into small pieces. Cooked for 5 minutes then added dark red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, rotel tomatoes with green chilies, (using all the liquids in all the cans), 10oz Bud Light and 15oz beef broth. Let it simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Once it tightened up and got nice and thick, I served it with a heaping helping of shredded cheddar cheese ... awesome! The smoky flavor of the charcoal came right through without being overpowering, all the spices blended extremely well and the cheese brought it all together!! It was great as pulled pork for Christmas and an outstanding hangover cure! :chef:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Caribbean Smoked Pork Shoulder turned into Chili

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 am

sounds like a HOLE IN ONE to me, B.D. - - - :cheers: :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Chili Heads”