Bowl of red

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Bowl of red

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:05 pm

A thing of beauty
Attachments
FA4A97F6-8130-47E6-BF4A-7C7B141EA0C8.jpeg
Seconds please
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Bowl of red

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 pm

yes indeed - - - I've been forcing myself to hold off with making a pot but that photo isn't helping any - - nice bowl, Sir Egghead :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes Sir ye Bob :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Looks like an advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 am

Dang! GRailsback post had me wanting Fish today,....... Now I'm thinking chili and cornbread 8)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 am

Looks fantastic. Don't eat much of it here. By the look of you bowl I think it's time to make some. Probably a good warming dish that is what we need now. Expecting -4 Fahrenheit during the weekend.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 am

-4 OMG. Dig out the Woolies, make a fire, and pour some aquavit.

It’s always good to have a little left over chili so you can make a chili, cheese, onion omelet. A couple dolups of sour cream to finish. :D

Not pretty, but yummy.
Attachments
6EBE627F-FF15-4EB0-BCB4-C9F24D7523BB.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:49 am

Definitely PRETTY Yummy Looking for sure :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am

Looks good too. Aquavit helps your blood staying liquid.

techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm

egghead, I'd eat that omelette all day long! I love getting new ideas for leftover chili!

Your mention of aquavit caught my attention. That was a favorite of my Danish grandfather who settled down south of Kingsville. I grew up in Corpus and Sinton. Any chance we're kin? 8)
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:32 pm

TechieQ wrote:egghead, I'd eat that omelette all day long! I love getting new ideas for leftover chili!

Your mention of aquavit caught my attention. That was a favorite of my Danish grandfather who settled down south of Kingsville. I grew up in Corpus and Sinton. Any chance we're kin? 8)

You never know. :rose:

A Danish friend’s dad worked at a shipyard in Denmark. Every morning he would put a teaspoon in a small coffe cup and pour black coffee until he couldn’t see the tip of the spoon. Then he would pour aquavit in until he could see the tip of the spoon. Two of those then off to work in a shipyard. Whoaaa Bubba!!
Last edited by egghead on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 am

That's almost what many here do at party too:

Toss a coin in a coffee cup. Pour coffee until it disappears. Pour pure 96% alcohol until the coin is visible. Repeat until the cup is full. We call it "kaffedoktor". It think you understand the name. Kaffe = coffee.

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am

can someone explain to me the diff between a bowl of red and chili?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am

Justin - you might enjoy this. A little bit of history.

https://youtu.be/XgkegPojcCE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am

JustinCouch wrote:can someone explain to me the diff between a bowl of red and chili?

No difference

I’ve posted the below before - some who haven’t seen it may enjoy.

For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili Cook-off about the time Halloween comes around. It takes up a major portion of Warren Park in Burleson, Texas.

Judge #3 was an inexperienced Chili taster named Sarge, who was visiting from Portland, Oregon.
Sarge: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was
assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted".

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI #1 - ERIN'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI...
Judge #1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge #2 -- Nice smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge #3 (Sarge) -- Holy crap, what the heck is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. It took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI #2 - AUSTIN'S AFTERBURNER CHILI...
Judge #1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge #2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge #3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
CHILI #3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI...
Judge #1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge #2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge #3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose
feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. The barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting wasted from all of the beer.

CHILI #4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC...
Judge #1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge #2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge #3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beermaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-LB woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm
eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
CHILI #5 - LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge #1 -- Meaty - strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge #2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge #3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. To heck with those rednecks.
CHILI #6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge #1 – Thin, yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge #2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic - Superb.
Judge #3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I messed myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. I can't feel my lips anymore. I need to
wipe my arse with a snow cone.
CHILI #7 - AGGIE'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI...
Judge #1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge #2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3.He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge #3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of
lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
CHILI #8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI...
Judge #1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too hot, bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge #2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella, wonder
how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 - No Report
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Chili Heads”