Hows this?

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Re: Hows this?

Postby NewBQ » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:26 am

I would just add a spoon and get busy! 8) 8)
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 am

Looks great man! Since you're looking for critique, I would give it a 9.5, only because I like the meat a little bit more coarse. (note: I have no idea what judges look for lol ) But either way that is probably the best looking bowl of chili I've ever seen. And I do like beans in my chili too.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:24 pm

atcNick wrote:Looks great man! Since you're looking for critique, I would give it a 9.5, only because I like the meat a little bit more coarse. (note: I have no idea what judges look for lol ) But either way that is probably the best looking bowl of chili I've ever seen. And I do like beans in my chili too.

Thanks Nick.. Thats what I'm looking for. I need to know what y'all think of the appearance and if there is anything that could/should be different.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

sdar
Pilgrim

Postby sdar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

That looks good to eat, don't get me wrong. We call that stew though. Not chili.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 am

JamesB wrote:
BluDawg wrote:O k tell us the truth that looks like Bert's chile from the waffle hutt place.LOL
It looks like a decent bowl of chile soup( I don't do beans or chunks, if it got them to me it is soup). Would I eat it YES. To me chili is Tx red. Now if you want to put all the stuff (Except the beans) in with no chunks toss it all in the blender with a cup of Beef stock and blitz the bejesus out of it till it is smooth. Then add it to your pot.All the flavor no chunks.

That's backwards to me... If it's smooth, then it's soup... Like the kind you can drink outta da cup...

As said above, I usually make my Texas Chili with beans... Why? 'cause that is the way my Mama made it and that's how we like it... Our family tree goes so far back that we were Texans before Texas was a state, so any chili made by me is Texas Chili.

Now will also admit that there ain't no one and only way to make Texas Chili... Many folks use beans or chunks... some has a smooth gravy and some has floaters etc. Kinda like BBQ, there ain't just one way and everybody does theirs just a bit different...

This is done just for the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, veggies, etc. to keep all the flavor while keeping to the expectations of "no chunks". I guarantee you do this, then make a second pot with the same veggie ingredients, but not puréed, the flavor will be fuller with the blended mix and the texture will be uniform and consistent. Eating is not entirely about flavor alone though; Eating is an experience that uses all your senses! You smell the food cooking: how does it smell? You look at your offering first: does it look good? You take a bite from your plate: how does it taste? Is it tough and dry; tender and juicy? Is it a textural nightmare: Jelly-like with granola crunchy bits?!

When judges are judging food, especially BBQ, they are looking for things that your average foodie does not; in fact, most competitors will tell you the food they normally serve OUTSIDE competition isn't normally what they would make FOR a competition and vice versa.
There is certainly more than one way to skin a rabbit, and more than one way to create a meal; the end result depends upon the audience for whom you are cooking! :wink:
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Chili Heads”