Hows this?

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Hows this?

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Well, with the cooler temps rolling in, I figure that it's a good excuse to make a batch of chili and to practice for a chili cookoff.

Anyways, appearance wise, how would you honestly score this small bowl of chili on a scale of 1-10? You know... Color, texture, etc.

Would you prefer to see it with more chunks of anything, smoother texture, etc?

And yes, it has beans in it.

Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Hows this?

Postby JamesB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:56 pm

I've never cooked comp chili, but that bowl looks good to me... Now from what I've read, the only chunks they want to see in the bowl is the meat itself... No beans or veggies should be visible.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:04 pm

JamesB wrote:I've never cooked comp chili, but that bowl looks good to me... Now from what I've read, the only chunks they want to see in the bowl is the meat itself... No beans or veggies should be visible.

I talked to a couple of cooks at the cookoff a couple of weeks ago. Now keep in mind this is a backyard type cookoff that benefits Camp Craig Allen so the rules arent as tight.

But those folks told me the same thing that you said, but they all referred to Terlingua (sp). They said there you can't even have a seed or anything except for the meat.

At this cookoff the chunks don't matter. In fact one guy had a dove chili with whole mushrooms in it.

Talking to a judge (you saw him in a dress at Bass Pro Shop BBQ Cookoff :lol: ), I was told they are looking for:

aroma
color
texture
overall appearance (does it look like chili)
taste
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Just curious, but why no chunks other than meat? Is that what "authentic" Texas chili is, as I've never had it?

To me, chili consists of big flavors (including heat), meat, and lots of chunks of onion, peppers, tomatoes, and yes, beans. Guess you can call that Louisiana chili :lol:

I really would like to taste some good authentic Texas chili to see what it's all about, and I'm definitely open to different tastes. Just really curious about the no chunks thing.

BTW Chuck, your chili looks great to me!
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Somebody somewhere decided the comp chili rules... Texas chili to me can have chunks if the cook wants them... can have beans too. Mine usually has beans, onions, garlic, peppers, meat etc...
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Looks good to me Chuck
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:08 pm

JamesB wrote:Somebody somewhere decided the comp chili rules... Texas chili to me can have chunks if the cook wants them... can have beans too. Mine usually has beans, onions, garlic, peppers, meat etc...

Thanks, that clears it up a little for me, being just a comp thing. I've heard for so long that Texas chili doesn't have beans that I've really been wondering exactly that Texas chili is all about, as far as flavors & textures. Sounds like your chili really isn't very different from mine, if at all.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm

O k tell us the truth that looks like Bert's chile from the waffle hutt place.LOL
It looks like a decent bowl of chile soup( I don't do beans or chunks, if it got them to me it is soup). Would I eat it YES. To me chili is Tx red. Now if you want to put all the stuff (Except the beans) in with no chunks toss it all in the blender with a cup of Beef stock and blitz the bejesus out of it till it is smooth. Then add it to your pot.All the flavor no chunks.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 pm

BluDawg wrote:O k tell us the truth that looks like Bert's chile from the waffle hutt place.LOL
It looks like a decent bowl of chile soup( I don't do beans or chunks, if it got them to me it is soup). Would I eat it YES. To me chili is Tx red. Now if you want to put all the stuff (Except the beans) in with no chunks toss it all in the blender with a cup of Beef stock and blitz the bejesus out of it till it is smooth. Then add it to your pot.All the flavor no chunks.

That's where we differ. To you that's chili, to me it's a drink :mrgreen:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 pm

BluDawg wrote:O k tell us the truth that looks like Bert's chile from the waffle hutt place.LOL

That's backwards to me... If it's smooth, then it's soup... Like the kind you can drink outta da cup...

As said above, I usually make my Texas Chili with beans... Why? 'cause that is the way my Mama made it and that's how we like it... Our family tree goes so far back that we were Texans before Texas was a state, so any chili made by me is Texas Chili.

Now will also admit that there ain't no one and only way to make Texas Chili... Many folks use beans or chunks... some has a smooth gravy and some has floaters etc. Kinda like BBQ, there ain't just one way and everybody does theirs just a bit different...
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 am

Kenny 13 wrote:
JamesB wrote:Somebody somewhere decided the comp chili rules... Texas chili to me can have chunks if the cook wants them... can have beans too. Mine usually has beans, onions, garlic, peppers, meat etc...

Thanks, that clears it up a little for me, being just a comp thing. I've heard for so long that Texas chili doesn't have beans that I've really been wondering exactly that Texas chili is all about, as far as flavors & textures. Sounds like your chili really isn't very different from mine, if at all.

Don't ever confuse competition chili with a good Texas chili. Most comp chili is darn near inedible compared to good homemade. I've judged chili before, and you really have to follow the rules to survive. That no-chunks thing is I tend to believe based on trying to make the entries uniform, so there is less chance that one can identify the entry with a particular team or cook.

I think that initially all 'original' Texas chili owes it's origin to the chili created by the Chili Queens in San Antonio 150 years ago. Meat, onion, peppers, garlic, spices and water, and cooked for a really long time. If this chili is made right, you'll never miss the beans or tomato products.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Postby Surfinsapo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Looks good to me!!!
ImageImage ImageImage
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 am

Looks real good from here Chuck.
a stumpted toe hurts
Shiz-Nit
Pilgrim

Postby Shiz-Nit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Dang son that is pretty right there!
"Bluegrass Southern Smokers" Competition BBQ Team
BBQ Naked and Toast Your Bunz
racerus USER_AVATAR
racerus
Wrangler

Postby racerus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:00 am

not a chili cook, but all i need with that bowl is some saltine crackers.

Return to “Chili Heads”