Smoking Salmon / other fish

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bithlord
Pilgrim

Smoking Salmon / other fish

Postby Bithlord » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 am

Anybody have any good links showing how to or advice for how to smoke fish?

I'm not looking to preserve the fish, so smoking / cooking it is fine. It's something I've been wanting to try, but have no idea how to approach.

Thanks,

Bith
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Smoking Salmon / other fish

Postby egghead » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 am

I have only done this once and need to do it again - came out real nice

Here is the link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9778
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
Bithlord
Pilgrim

Postby Bithlord » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 am

That looks good, and pretty simple too.

A couple of questions I have about the cold smoking: How did you keep the salmon from getting too warm during the smoking process? I know that the cold smoker using a soldering iron doesn't heat it too much, but it looks like it was just done in a kettle grill.

Did you do it during winter? I'm worried about microbes and such getting people sick.

thanks!
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 am

I did it in January in a mini big green egg. I'm no expert and you may want to do a little research, but I understand the curing takes care of all the bad guys.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:08 am

Back in my teens growing up in Minnesota I smoked suckers and tulabees frequently. Here is a good link for the preservation of fish. Smoking is covered towards the end of the page. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J1087.html" target="_blank" target="_blank .

Note, smoked fish still needs refrigeration.
Note, curing only prevents botulism. Other bad guys may still exist.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
mfilter2
Pilgrim

Postby mfilter2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Oh man, you smoked Suckers? I'm from MN as well and always wondered if anyone had a recipe or had smoked the lips off of one othem! Can you post here how you did it? BTW, what is a Tulabee?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:00 pm

mfilter2 wrote:Oh man, you smoked Suckers? I'm from MN as well and always wondered if anyone had a recipe or had smoked the lips off of one othem! Can you post here how you did it? BTW, what is a Tulabee?

A sucker smokes up well as it is an oily fish. Course the spear holes are unappealing in the final product.

Tulabee (misspelled) here http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:0,s:0" target="_blank

We'd catch them using grubs (meal worms) just as the ice was breaking up and just before sunrise. Once I was stranded for 4 hours waiting for the winds to shift to send the ice back to the shore.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”