Bacon

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

matt USER_AVATAR
Matt
Rustler

Bacon

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Picked up an 11# belly at Costco a few weeks back for $3 lb. All cured, smoked and sliced!
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Bacon

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:45 pm

:cheers: :chef: Nothing better than your own bacon. I have a bunch coming out tomorrow.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:28 pm

That is awesome, is it hard to do? anyone willing to share their recipe/technique?

Love me some Bacon :pig:

Ric G.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:That is awesome, is it hard to do? anyone willing to share their recipe/technique?
Ric G.

No, not hard at all. I have several recipes.

A good standby recipe:

Home Cured Brown Sugar and Black Pepper Bacon

Ingredients

4-5 pound belly
¼ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon ground thyme
2 teaspoons of pink salt (Cure #1)

Method

Mix the salt, brown sugar, black pepper, bay leaves, garlic, onion, thyme and the pink salt (Cure #1) and mix well. Apply the curing mix all over your pork belly, making sure it is well covered. Place in a 2-gallon zip lock bag and place in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. You can under cure bacon but you cannot over cure bacon. Turn every day or two.

Rinse under cold water, washing off as much of the cure as possible and pat dry. Let it sit overnight to form the pellicle.

Cold smoke for two hours, smoke at 160F for two hours, then smoke at 200F until an internal temperature of 145F. The three temperature allow more smoke flavor to the bacon. Remove the skin, chill well, then slice and package.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
matt USER_AVATAR
Matt
Rustler

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:
TwoGuysBBQ wrote:That is awesome, is it hard to do? anyone willing to share their recipe/technique?
Ric G.

A good standby recipe:

Ingredients

4-5 pound belly
¼ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground thyme

Method

Mix the salt, brown sugar, black pepper, bay leaves, garlic, onion, thyme and the pink salt (Cure #1) and mix well. Apply the curing mix all over your pork belly, making sure it is well covered. Place in a 2-gallon zip lock bag and place in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. You can under cure bacon but you cannot over cure bacon. Turn every day or two.

Rinse under cold water, washing off as much of the cure as possible and pat dry. Let it sit overnight to form the pellicle.

Cold smoke for two hours, smoke at 160F for two hours, then smoke at 200F until an internal temperature of 145F. The three temperature allow more smoke flavor to the bacon. Remove the skin, chill well, then slice and package.

That right there will do it!
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:33 am

Guys. On the pork belly skin do you find it better to remove the skin before you cure/smoke it? I've seen it done both ways. Some say you get more flavor (both from the brine & smoke) if you remove the skin before hand.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 am

Sure looks good. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:54 am

Finatic wrote:Guys. On the pork belly skin do you find it better to remove the skin before you cure/smoke it? I've seen it done both ways. Some say you get more flavor (both from the brine & smoke) if you remove the skin before hand.

I find it too hard to skin with a knife until smoked. I have plenty of flavor. If you are skilled with a long knife, you might skin one and leave one skin on -- try them side by side.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:
Finatic wrote:Guys. On the pork belly skin do you find it better to remove the skin before you cure/smoke it? I've seen it done both ways. Some say you get more flavor (both from the brine & smoke) if you remove the skin before hand.

I find it too hard to skin with a knife until smoked. I have plenty of flavor. If you are skilled with a long knife, you might skin one and leave one skin on -- try them side by side.

Costco sells them with the skin on but my local Restaurant Depot sells them with the skin already removed. Both are really close in price.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:35 pm

The only place anywhere near me that sells them is a Mexican market. Good prices though.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:
Ric G.

A good standby recipe:

Ingredients

4-5 pound belly
¼ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground thyme

Method

This is a perfect starter to get you into bacon. Once you get the hang of it, then you can mix it up and add otha flava!
(Insert witty signature here)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:24 pm

I prefer with the skin on because I use the skin afterwards to flavor my beans and such. As far as skin removal pre/post smoke; I find it much easier after smoke.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”