Making the horseshoe links

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HFD_BBQer67
Pilgrim

Making the horseshoe links

Postby HFD_BBQer67 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:46 am

So I've only been making sausage for a couple months and have a few batches under my belt with mostly success. I recently built a couple racks to hang dry and bloom by sausages and I think the horseshoe link style would work best on my racks. Does anyone know how to twist/tie the horseshoe/U shaped kind of links they sell in the store? Thanks in advance!
Tyler
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Making the horseshoe links

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Just make them like regular length and tie the ends together.
(Insert witty signature here)
HFD_BBQer67
Pilgrim

Postby HFD_BBQer67 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks, I've seen the pictures of completed product but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it. Do you tie them off as you're stuffing? Do you finish stuffing, twist them, then tie them and cut them? Sorry, like I said, I'm still new to this....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:08 am

I've "helped" stuff venison sausages before and we cut and tied the rings (horseshoe) one at a time as we went. The feller that I was helping was the expert and he just had me tie the ends after he cut one to length and then all I did was tie the ends together - - - voila instant ring - - - then we hung them in his smoke house. Good Luck and if you can post pics of your progress as you go. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”