Curing wild hams

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Curing wild hams

Postby Bobcat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Got a wild sow about 130-140 lbs & want to cure the hams & was wondering about the fat on the hams ? I trimmed most of it off but is that going to affect anything when I put the salt cure on them ?? This hog has been eating very well looks like !! Excellent shape for a woods hog - lots of corn & acorns apparently ! The hams weigh 6 1/2 lbs each & I will get them salted tomorrow when I get in from work. Thanks for your input . :pig: :dont: :texas:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Curing wild hams

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:44 am

The more fat, the better. Overall aside from diet and fat content, pigs are pigs. A wild hog cures just like any other! :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:04 am

Here is one of many wild hams I have done.. For some reference :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22064&p=182989&hilit=wild#p182989
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks Dragon , After curing & smoke it does it need to set a few days or cook it immediately before slicing ? Also what temp should I bring it to during smoke ? :dont: :texas:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:31 am

Bobcat wrote:Thanks Dragon , After curing & smoke it does it need to set a few days or cook it immediately before slicing ? Also what temp should I bring it to during smoke ? :dont: :texas:

After you cure it, you have a good deal of wiggle room before you need to "cook" it. I like to finish the cure process then give it a couple days to dry in the fridge. Usually 1 at minimum; you can go as long as 3 weeks, with certain criteria met. Keep it simple though, a day or 2 or 5 will be ok!
As far as heat goes, stay <225. Usually I try to keep from 180-200. Timeframe depends on the size of the ham. About 8-10 lbs, you'll be around 10 hours at 200 deg. You don't really want to "cook" the meat, just getting good smoke and some heat to tighten it up a bit. Interior temp, you'll want to see about 150-160 if i remember correctly. (I never probed any of mine though).
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks Dragon , this is my first time to cure hams so it's a learning curve for me . Thanks again !! :P :texas:

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”