Potbelly hams!

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Potbelly hams!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Yup, I've started some ham from one of the potbelly pigs I recently acquired. 2 hinds, approximately 9lbs each, salted down and a tad less than 24 hours in cure phase 1. Can't wait to see these through!!

20170613_074148.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Potbelly hams!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 pm

U Da :pig: Man :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 am

So when do these get exposed to SMOKE and how you gonna do them in the end :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:So when do these get exposed to SMOKE and how you gonna do them in the end :?:

I just started their second phase today; the wet phase! I took the liberty of also injecting the solution through the femoral artery to quicken this process. They plumped up nicely! So they are bathing in, and filled with the curing brine. I am hoping to smoke them before the start of next week. I'm gonna see if I can find some cherry to smoke them with, if not, pecan or hickory.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 pm

?femoral? don't you have to have a license for that? :laughing7:

awesome dedication, T-Dragon :tup: :salut:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 am

OldUsedParts wrote:?femoral? don't you have to have a license for that? :laughing7:

awesome dedication, T-Dragon :tup: :salut:

Only to be "legal" lol!!!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:33 am

They got smoke yesterday! Here are a couple shots of the results!

This one is about 3 hours in. I kept them a bit hotter, but a shorter time. Smoked with hickory at 280 for 5 hours.
20170618_151515.jpg

Dressed and ready to slice!!
20170618_182017.jpg

They turned out fantastic! I had a couple suspicions they were gonna be a tad salty because they're smaller than I usually work with, but after taste, I suddenly realized I need to stop second guessing myself!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 am

there you go Ham'n it up again :tup: :salut: absolutely Beautimous :cheers:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Looks just like the ham I get from my butcher. Looks real moist too.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Potbelly hams!

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:Looks just like the ham I get from my butcher. Looks real moist too.

Russ

Txdragon AKA ( butcher ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Those look great, and I'm not a big ham guy, but I'd tear into those !!

Nice job man
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re: RE: Re: Potbelly hams!

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:24 pm

woodenvisions wrote:
Kiwiruss wrote:Looks just like the ham I get from my butcher. Looks real moist too.

Russ

Txdragon AKA ( butcher ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Those look great, and I'm not a big ham guy, but I'd tear into those !!

Nice job man

Lol

My friend had his own butcher shop, but retired and sold it 3 years ago. He's just always been called butch or butcher. I miss going into his shop to have a chin wag. Smelling the hams cooking. Or watching him make link sausage.

Russ
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks all! WV: I was once also not a ham fella. Then I started making my own and the difference is really night and day.
Russ: I actually wanted to be a butcher long ago. The first time I dressed my own deer on a hunting trip, I was hooked! I actually inquired at a few places but was turned down because I didn't have enough experience. I thought, "Isn't the definition of "apprentice" a person with limited knowledge training under a master of a craft "?
It wasn't too long after that I ended up enlisting into the Army anyways. Lol! I take to it as a hobby now! I have actually taught my brother enough to push him in a positive direction in butchery. He owns some of his own equipment and actually now processes most of his own meat.
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Txdragon wrote:Thanks all! WV: I was once also not a ham fella. Then I started making my own and the difference is really night and day.
Russ: I actually wanted to be a butcher long ago. The first time I dressed my own deer on a hunting trip, I was hooked! I actually inquired at a few places but was turned down because I didn't have enough experience. I thought, "Isn't the definition of "apprentice" a person with limited knowledge training under a master of a craft "?
It wasn't too long after that I ended up enlisting into the Army anyways. Lol! I take to it as a hobby now! I have actually taught my brother enough to push him in a positive direction in butchery. He owns some of his own equipment and actually now processes most of his own meat.

Funny you should say this, I always wanted to be a chef, I tried to enroll in the army as a 15 yo, but things in my background didnt allow that. But I've still had that interest. I've also been taught how to dress sheep and pigs. Never done a deer though.

Russ
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:
Funny you should say this, I always wanted to be a chef, I tried to enroll in the army as a 15 yo, but things in my background didnt allow that. But I've still had that interest. I've also been taught how to dress sheep and pigs. Never done a deer though.

Russ

Deer is a lot like sheep with less fleece!!! :laughing7:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Kiwiruss wrote:

Russ

Deer is a lot like sheep with less fleece!!! :laughing7:

Lol, yeah all the same I guess. My friend only ever killed and dressed female pigs though, he reckon the male pigs meat was never as good as a female pig. Never been a great fan of venison though.

Russ

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”