Buck Sticks Recipe

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MikeD
Pilgrim

Buck Sticks Recipe

Postby MikeD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

I live in New Braunfels and have always loved venison "buck sticks" from processors like Granzins, Rust's, Penshorn's, etc. These seem
to be something like what most people refer as Slim Jim style "snack sticks," but have more smoke and seem a little drier. I've had a few attempts at making these as I do beef sausage,
But they lack both the smokiness I like and the texture. I'm not sure if the ones I'm accustomed to are actually cold smoked, if they're just on the smoke a little longer than the traditional 4 hrs or are maybe cooked past 156. I'm a novice, but infollow the general instructions of smoking sausage I've found here and elsewhere using my offset stick burner.

If anyone is familiar with what I speak of and has some input I would sure love to hear it. Last year I spent upwards of $600 processing deer and convinced my wife to let me buy equipment to do it myself, so man to man your help is appreciated lol
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Buck Sticks Recipe

Postby Txdragon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Here ya go amigo, enjoy!! I have some deep roots in New Braunfels and Granzin's has gotten PLENTY money from me and my family. Love that place!! Good luck in your endeavor on this and post pics if you make any.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23251&p=191306&hilit=Buck+sticks#p191306
(Insert witty signature here)
MikeD
Pilgrim

Postby MikeD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks Txdragon. The recipe I made last weekend was very similar to this. It's not so much the spice blend I'm trying to figure out, but the smoke and texture. The ones I did were about 1 hr at 130, bumped up to 150 with smoke from an oak log for about 4 hrs and then cranked it up to finish of to 156. Cooled them off in an ice bath and left them uncovered in the fridge overnight. There just seems to be something missing with what I made. A little soft and not enough smoke. With the cure, can I put a low heat smoke in it for a longer time?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am

It certainly wouldn't hurt to extend the time when you lower temps. If texture is your nemesis now, try stuffing the casings a bit more and filling them slower! Stuffing them too fast, you end up with too much air getting trapped inside as well. That wreaks havoc on texture.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”