Home Made Pork Sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Home Made Pork Sausage

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm

My father In Law, 88 years and 7 months old, caught a nice white Sow in his trap. he fed her out for about 2 weeks and then processed her. He does it the old " Smokehouse" way, with hickory. It's mighty fine.
Attachments
IMG_1610[6442].JPG
IMG_1611[6444].JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Home Made Pork Sausage

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Bless him. That looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Bless him. That looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He killed a nice 10 pointer this year too; still rides horses, it's truly amazing
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi-Five to your Father in Law and best of Continued Gitt'n'er Done :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I've just pictured my own grandfather's homemade sausage when you tell the story. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Looks just like what I remember and if looks here say anything about the taste, I bet there are fights over the last ring!
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Txdragon wrote:I've just pictured my own grandfather's homemade sausage when you tell the story. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Looks just like what I remember and if looks here say anything about the taste, I bet there are fights over the last ring!

I love when he tells the stories about his childhood memories of their smokehouse; bacon hanging, link sausage in a five gallon bucket full of lard, whole salted hams, etc. There is still a giant cast iron pot out by the old barn he says they used to scald the pork hides and then they'd make cracklins. An art soon to be gone except by a few fortunate souls who have been taught how to make it.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Rambo wrote:An art soon to be gone except by a few fortunate souls who have been taught how to make it.

Yessir. A sad truth that is. If you haven't seen it already, watch the movie "Crazy Rich Asians". It's a ridiculous movie, but you get to see a bit about that very aspect; how some traditions are passed from one generation to the next, forcibly if need be.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 am

Rambo wrote:I love when he tells the stories about his childhood memories of their smokehouse; bacon hanging, link sausage in a five gallon bucket full of lard, whole salted hams, etc. There is still a giant cast iron pot out by the old barn he says they used to scald the pork hides and then they'd make cracklins. An art soon to be gone except by a few fortunate souls who have been taught how to make it.

It's those things that make that Generation so Special - - - - and to think that they did it all without any digital help from cyber space too. New Technology NEVER comes up to the Quality of "THE OLD MASTERS HAND" :bow: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Rambo wrote:I love when he tells the stories about his childhood memories of their smokehouse; bacon hanging, link sausage in a five gallon bucket full of lard, whole salted hams, etc. There is still a giant cast iron pot out by the old barn he says they used to scald the pork hides and then they'd make cracklins. An art soon to be gone except by a few fortunate souls who have been taught how to make it.

It's those things that make that Generation so Special - - - - and to think that they did it all without any digital help from cyber space too. New Technology NEVER comes up to the Quality of "THE OLD MASTERS HAND" :bow: :salut:

Yes Sir. They had an Out House, Wood Stove, Mules, Milk Cows, the real deal. Canned all their veggies in Qt. mason jars. All the neighbors that could would grow Sugar Cane in the Creek Bottoms and he said one of the neighbors had a " Syrup Mill". Once a year the whole community would harvest the Cane and they would make syrup all weekend. syrup and Biscuits were a staple back then. Sherry has " Ma Collier's" old wooden mixing bowl
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 am

My Sherry and I also have some artifacts from our Ancestors such as an old Wooden Bread Bowl, old Bobbins/Spool from Rug Looms and Cooking Utensils that I/we still use to this day. When we had our home in Nix (Hill Country) I had build a shelf about a foot down around two walls and we could display/share/enjoy/look at them and reminisce everyday while doing everyday things around the house. :tup:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am

That's cool
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Rambo while you can you might want sit down with him and have him tell you about his life stories and record them for when he is not with you anymore. That would be some cherished memories. My wife did that with her father and she listens to it all the time.
maw
Wrangler

Postby maw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm

That’s awesome. :santa:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Mule rider wrote:Rambo while you can you might want sit down with him and have him tell you about his life stories and record them for when he is not with you anymore. That would be some cherished memories. My wife did that with her father and she listens to it all the time.

Great idea, Thanks
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 am

Rambo wrote:
Txdragon wrote:I've just pictured my own grandfather's homemade sausage when you tell the story. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I love when he tells the stories about his childhood memories of their smokehouse; bacon hanging, link sausage in a five gallon bucket full of lard, whole salted hams, etc. There is still a giant cast iron pot out by the old barn he says they used to scald the pork hides and then they'd make cracklins. An art soon to be gone except by a few fortunate souls who have been taught how to make it.

I'm pretty good at making crackling, taught myself when my local pub had a competition, I won it hands down. I used to take it to the pub every Friday night.after a while my wife made me stop because she reckoned it burnt our oven out.lol. I must make it again. I'll try find some pics.

Russ

image.jpeg
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”