Help/ Opinions on Grinder, Sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Help/ Opinions on Grinder, Sausage

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:09 pm

I've always wanted to dabble in making my own sausage and received a surprise gift from my Son Christmas eve. I have no knowledge if this is a good grinder/machine/ etc but I have read the manual front and back and intend to give it a whirl.

Your CANDID comments will be appreciated, you're not going to hurt my feelings.
Attachments
IMG_1675[6595].JPG
IMG_1659[6569].JPG
IMG_1656[6571].JPG
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Help/ Opinions on Grinder, Sausage

Postby GRailsback » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:56 pm

That machine there looks like it will treat you right Rambo.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks Greg ; I figure it will do to learn on. I'm sure there will be some negative reviews and I welcome those
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I have no experience in sausage making, but it seems as though it is sufficient to make a decent sized batch. You can ship the first batch to Sooner and use him for a lab rat. He can cook them on his new blackstone with some peppers and onions.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm

I had one ALMOST identical to this one and it served me very well. I used it at the first restaurant I worked in; where I ground a case of briskets a day, 5 days a week for seven months before it finally died. Now take note also.. I had it for about 2 years prior to that and had put it through my own paces first. If I had to guess, a good estimate would be at least 2 tons of beef, pork, and venison were ground with that machine. You've got a machine that will treat you well, sir!
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Wow, that’s encouraging Chef, Thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 am

I've never owned a larger grinder, only a small one, but I have helped my Son and a Friend in some sausage making several times on very nice machines. Every time we did this I remember them saying that the casing stuffing process was where the "Grinder Quality" was really noticed. :dont:

Feeding the Monkey (what my late Friend called the Hopper) and holding/feeding the casing properly at the tube while it was being stuffed seemed to be hardest part to me. :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:42 am

I'm prepared for some hard lessons. I will do as much research, watch videos, etc. as possible prior to the maiden voyage. There is a good tutorial that Dave pinned at the top of the sausage forum I have already read twice. But, as with many things, the School of Hard Knocks is the best education
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am

Another thing that my late Friend always stressed was using good quality Casings. I'm not positive and it's been a long time but it seems like he used Sheep Casings. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am

There is still a real Meat Market in Lufkin. My FIL told me I could get them there, thanks Emm
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03 am

They are smaller but that year that my friend did my Venison Sausage for me was the best I've ever eaten. You never noticed the casings even being there when you took a bite off of a link. :cheers:
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

I have made thousands of pounds of sausage with an older model Cabelas grinder, this one should be just dandy, they tend to make quality products. One trick I have learned using home grinders over industrial grinders is cutting the meat into strips rather than chunks, the meat seem to catch better in the smaller home use augers. Also putting the meat in the freezer prior to grinding will help out, not getting it fully frozen, but just stiffening it up a bit. This will also help prevent the meat from getting mushy/smashed through the cross knife and plate and make nice smooth cuts of ground meat.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you Fish
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:36 am

Ok now you are ready to buy some casins, a pork butt or two and get started. Pan sausage is the easiest and most pleasurable to start with, I never did like to stuff with my grinder, so I bougt a stuffer about the 8 lb size. If you like sausage your in for some good eatin… Oh and once you get going dont forget to supply your son in law with some rewards... I like home made sausage better than anything in the stores, just have that thing in my way called a job for the next two or three years then look out ;) ;)
Last edited by spacetrucker on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 am

Retirement can be Dangerous :whiteflag: If you don't believe me just ask my Wife and Kids :laughing7: :lol: :D

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”