Spam Stir Fry

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:57 pm

No, not the same. the Lite is low calorie version. The low sodium says 25% less sodium on the label. :D

Here is a link for Spam. :D I didn't know they had so many different flavors of spam. they even have Spam spread. :shock: :D :D Some sound interesting like Hickory or the mustard one. I've never seen these in the stores down here.:D

http://www.spam.com/eatspam/varieties.aspx
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Beware another Papa story:
In the late '90s I had a relationship with the #9 Nascar team then owned by Harry Melling and driven by Lake Speed. The car was sponsored by Spam and painted the expected Blue and yellow. They didn't have a great year that year but told me that they thought that they had a legitimate claim to fame in that they owned the world's fastest Spam can. 8)
tarde venientibus ossa....
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Aloha y'all...

I am enjoying your comments on "Spam". I mention Spam to my non-Hawaiian friends here in WA and all utter nothing but disgusting remarks. I always have several cans in our pantry. I like spam better than ham, sausage or bacon with eggs. When I get my real pit maybe I will try to smoke it. Wacha tink?

For those intersted in what kind of pit I been using for the last 50 years, I sent Dave a pic and he posted it in the gallery. I dig up a new pit everytime, never used an imu twice. I will have more pix of my cooks shortly.

Take care... a hui hou kakou
honu41
Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:29 pm

I had read in the past that Spam was very popular in the Pacific, especially Hawaii. I grew up eating fried Spam sandwiches (like fried bologna) and since then have experimented some. I do like to keep stuff like Spam, canned tuna, and salmon in the pantry for quick meals or if for some reason we have no gas or electricity and the weather's too bad to grill.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 pm

Aloha Allie,

Yep, I think if you ask anyone born and raised in Hawaii what their favorite canned meat most of the answer would be spam. I just surfed on the 'net to check what kind of spam recipes are on the 'net and there are thousands.

I have made spam omelets, spam fried rice, breaded spam, spam & corn chowder and slivers of spam to garnish Asian instant noodles. In emergencies, say without power or natural gas, it still can be eaten and will keep in an unopened can without refrigeration.

For my self I guess it all depends what was available while growing up and in Hawaii during WWII spam was more plentiful than fresh meats...

Take care a hui hou
honu41
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 pm

Allie wrote:I had read in the past that Spam was very popular in the Pacific, especially Hawaii.

:spam: I've also heard England was known as "Spamland" during WWII because of all the Spam the GIs ate there.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”