Mostly About Potatoes

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Mostly About Potatoes

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm

So we've been experimenting with Jacques Pepin's method of half-nuking, half-baking potatoes: 10-15 minutes in the microwave, while your oven is heating to 425°; then 12-15 in the hot oven, depending on the size of the spud (we were finding a need to run the taters in the oven for up to a half hour).

All potatoes used have been fairly biiig Idahoes.

Yesterday we ran an experiment and baked the potatoes in the oven all the way, with our usual method: 450° for 20 minutes, and only then pierce with a few holes, and reduce oven temps to 400°and continue baking for another 40-45 minutes. Seems to work better in eliminating hard, undercooked interior spots than piercing at the start.

This is strictly subjective, but we found the half-nuked potatoes to have a creamier interior, while lacking the true oven crunchy skin, whereas the interior of the oven-only bakers was fluffier, lighter.

Potatoes dressed with pepper creme dressing. This one had bleu chez sprinkles. The 'sides' in this case were turkey thighs previously done in the slow cooker (hey! it was a tough winter here!), and mixed vejables steamed in butter.

Next potato experiment will probably be half-nuking Yukon Golds, then slicing and pan-frying. Stay tuned.
Moink!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Mostly About Potatoes

Postby TX1911 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Will definitely be tuning in for that! Thanks for sharing the info!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

I would lick that plate so clean that it wouldn't need warsh'n

:idea: Yo Sailor, we do a thin cross ways sliced tater very low heat in a lidded skillet with butter and call them "soft fries" - - - purdy larapin too :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm

I do my tatters in microwave 2 ways, cleaned rubbed in olive oil and pricked with a fork. Zap on high about 6 mins then feel softness then turn and zap another 6 mins. Cut cross in top and pinch with fingers to put sour cream in tatter.
Second I do the same but after its cooked I cut in half and take tatter out with a spoon boil some sweet tatters, we call them kumara here. Mash with about 1/4 of original tatter with the sweet tatter, lots butter and a bit of cream, refill tatter she'll and cheese on top and into oven 15 mins.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:I do my tatters in microwave 2 ways, cleaned rubbed in olive oil and pricked with a fork. Zap on high about 6 mins then feel softness then turn and zap another 6 mins. Cut cross in top and pinch with fingers to put sour cream in tatter.
Second I do the same but after its cooked I cut in half and take tatter out with a spoon boil some sweet tatters, we call them kumara here. Mash with about 1/4 of original tatter with the sweet tatter, lots butter and a bit of cream, refill tatter she'll and cheese on top and into oven 15 mins.

Russ

We used to prepare something vaguely similar for Thanksgiving, only with chutney, scallions, and pimientos. ;)
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Love me some STARCH STARCH STARCH !!!
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
Kiwiruss wrote:I do my tatters in microwave 2 ways, cleaned rubbed in olive oil and pricked with a fork. Zap on high about 6 mins then feel softness then turn and zap another 6 mins. Cut cross in top and pinch with fingers to put sour cream in tatter.

Russ

We used to prepare something vaguely similar for Thanksgiving, only with chutney, scallions, and pimientos. ;)

Yup I also serve with tomatoe relish as well, and scallions as well, haven't tried pimentos?

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm

These all sound good to me!
:D

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”