Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Pulled pork hatch chili stew

Postby egghead » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Developed my own recipe for this - takes a while but it's good

Pulled pork hatch chili stew

Recipe makes a large batch suitable for freezing - may want to cut recipe amounts for smaller batch.

Ingredients
2 cups dried chiles de arbol
10-12 dried ancho chiles
10 cloves garlic
Kosher salt to taste
5-6 pounds pulled pork
2 large white onions - chopped
64oz low-sodium chicken stock
3 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
3 bay leaves
8-10 roasted hatch chilis
3-4 cups cubed potatoes
1-2 cups corn
16 oz grated Queso fresco

Garnish
Lime wedges, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage, sliced onion, sliced radishes or fresh cilantro for garnish.

Instructions:

The chili sauce:
Break the stems off the chiles de arbol and ancho chiles and shake out as many seeds as possible. Put the chiles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Weigh down the chiles with a plate to keep them submerged and soak until soft - about 30 minutes. Transfer the chiles and 3 cups of the soaking liquid to a blender. Add half the garlic and a teaspoon salt and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh into a bowl. Push the sauce through with a spoon and discard the solids. Depending on your blender size and strength, you may want to blend in two batches. Reserve extra chili sauce for future recipes.

The stew
Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until transparent. Add the chopped garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
Stir in 6 cups of the chicken broth, oregano, bay leaves, salt and up to 2 cups of the chile sauce. I suggest starting with 1/2 cup of the chile sauce and then add more after tasting finished stew. Bring to a low simmer and then start adding the pulled pork, potatoes, corn, and rest of the stock and simmer until potatoes are cooked
Stir in the cheese and continue with a slow simmer until ready to serve. Remove the bay leaves. Season with salt to taste. Serve with assorted toppings.
Attachments
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pulled pork hatch chili stew

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 am

As Always :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Pulled pork hatch chili stew

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 am

Man that looks great. Asked the wife last week how we could use pulled pork in green chile stew. Gotta try this. Thanks EH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”