Collards 101?

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Collards 101?

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am

I'm eager to try my Leaf Stripper once it arrives, but the collards in the store didn't look great, so I got kale. I'm not nuts about kale.

But collards...are canned collards awful? We picked up ONE can. And I'm a little skeert because everything I read on teh innerwebz says collards stink up the house, so cook them outdoors.

We grew collards decades ago, so I forgot all this. :oops:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Collards 101?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm

WELL :dont: , so does cabbage but it's worth it and, as far as I'm concerned, CANNED GREENS OF ANY KIND should be outlawed and banned by the FDA :whiteflag:

My former D.I.L. used to say "I ain't eatin anything that smells like a @%$^&*" :laughing7:

Just remember the Greens got there first the smell came later :whiteflag: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Nothing like walking into my house and smelling a big ole pot of collards cooking. Man you give me them and some cornbread and I am a happy camper. :D Throw some smoked turkey necks in the pot as well. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks, K. A. M and OUP. How long do you cook 'em?

Gonna continue to look for decent collards, prep the kale when the gadget arrives, and report on it. I need to find something to cook it down with. We can't get smoked pork hock or turkey here. At least, not that I know... :dont:

BUT, in the interests of Science, we're gonna try the canned greens anyway. :laughing7:
Moink!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Smoke some ribs and keep your smoked tips for the collards. Take the leaves off the stems and rinse well then chop them up into about 2" to 3" pieces then put them in a pot mash them down and barely cover with water throw the smoked tips in the pot and bring to a low boil cook them down till tender. Salt and pepper to taste I like to add several splashes of Louisiana hot sauce to the pot while cooking.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:32 pm

nuttin wrong with that for sure - - - only thing I do differently is I boil my stock ingredients (necks, hocks (ankles), salt pork, bacon or etc) and the veggies a while before putting in my greens and then I bring to a boil, turn down the heat and slow simmer until just barely crunchy - - - of course S&P, Garlic and other seasonings are "to taste" - - - IMHO, KAM is dead on with the size to cut the greens before boiling :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Smoke some ribs and keep your smoked tips for the collards. Take the leaves off the stems and rinse well then chop them up into about 2" to 3" pieces then put them in a pot mash them down and barely cover with water throw the smoked tips in the pot and bring to a low boil cook them down till tender. Salt and pepper to taste I like to add several splashes of Louisiana hot sauce to the pot while cooking.

That's a good idea, thanks. We actually have some smoke ribes in freezer. :D
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm

So...we tried the stripper on kale. It worked, I guess? (I really wanted the leaf-shaped one, but this was cheaper.)

Tore the leaves up after stripping, sauteed with smashed garlic cloves, then added red pepper flakes, a shot of salt/pepper, chicken stock, a teeny box of apple juice, and a little soy sauce.

Tested the kale for tenderness every ten minutes or so. I think it went about a half hour in all. Some of the bigger pieces were a little tough, but the flavor was great. I stopped myself from drinking all the 'pot likker' 'cause we left some over to have with those ribs that came from the freezer.

Now to find some decent-looking collards.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm

They sho look nice and perky and green green green also - - - - :tup: :salut:

Did the Stripper leave any large pieces of leaves on the stalk ?
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:They sho look nice and perky and green green green also - - - - :tup: :salut:

Did the Stripper leave any large pieces of leaves on the stalk ?

I don't think so...more like it left some pieces of stalk on the leaves. :laughing7:

Because the stalks taper. Also, I think this stripper needs more sizes. But it worked pretty well. Thanks!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 pm

as long as "Arthur" permits, I think I'll continue paring mine off of the stems - - - - BTW, I used some of Eggheads "Smoked Hot Sauce" on my last plate of Collards and it was better than my long time pepper sauce - - - soooo now I guess I'm gonna be canning some smoked hot sauce ?if I can get his recipe? :salut:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”