Beer Can Gumbeaux

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Beer Can Gumbeaux

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 am

:?: Dry Roux - Whoux Kneux :?: - - been planning to make a pot of Gumbeaux from what's left of the Beer Can Chicken and, as always, the Roux is always a threat to my success. So this time I decided to try the Dry Roux which is just slow browned flour that you add to your Trinity and Stock. OK, so all of that sounds cool but now comes the final test. After spending an hour and 15 min yesterday ennin getting the flour just right, I introduced about half of it to my Trinity and Stock. If it tastes anything close to the way it smells and looks then I'll be a happy camper. Not quite ready to dump all together and geaux for it but it ain't too far away.
IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Beer Can Gumbeaux

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 am

Woux Houx my Kitchen sho do smell guud :tup: Think I'll slow simmer for about 90 more minutes and then fix some rice and try not to O.D. - - - it's also calling for some sprinkling of Sir Eggs Smoked Hot Sauce once plated which I will be happy toux doux.
IMG_0027.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Welps, one bowl is down and I am pleased as could be - - - the only negative was that some of the okra from the can of Trappeys was "stemy and stringy" but other than that even the Wiffy said it's my best so far. "Even an Old Blind Hawg :pig: finds an Acorn now and then" :tup:

IMG_0028.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Oops, I forgot to mention that since the Wiffy doesn't handle the hot and spicy, I added a liberal sprinkling of Suckle Buster's Gator's Cajun Seasoning to my bowl - - - that and Eggs Hot Sauce took it over the top. :tup: :salut:
IMG_0029.JPG
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm

ok... but i think i would have gone with the baked in the oven roux ?
bacon grease & canola with flour
baked in the oven at 350
this pic is around 45'mins
you can't burn it
Attachments
Bacon_Gumbo_Roux_700.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Woux houx! :cheers:

Looks gooood.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm

CaptJack wrote:ok... but i think i would have gone with the baked in the oven roux ?
bacon grease & canola with flour
baked in the oven at 350
this pic is around 45'mins
you can't burn it

10-4 Capt'n and I started toux doux that wet roux in the oven, however, the dry roux did not ruin the taste at all - - - basically all it did was make it healthier :dont: which I've never worried about in the past, but I may start ?whoux knows? :salut:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 pm

If I didn't know that was browned flour, I'd think it was cocoa powder!
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Thaunx boys, been trying to figure out an easy way to do a dark rich roux fer years cause I would always come close to burnin it in the skillet and it was never dark enough fer my taste, and yet here’s the answers right in front of me. Those that don’t know it, a little dark side roux will make yer bowl of red chili meat sauce much better, but more importantly, is the secret mind blowing ingredient to really good New Mexican slow burn enchilada sauce, it adds deep richness and refinement and helps get you to a silky texture.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Hot dang !!
That's a fine looking bowl of goodness Em :salut: :chef:

Hey Captn...could you share your oven roux recipe.
I'm wanting to make up a batch of Seafood bisque and I always struggle with the roux.

:cheers:
Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Welps, one bowl is down and I am pleased as could be - - - the only negative was that some of the okra from the can of Trappeys was "stemy and stringy" but other than that even the Wiffy said it's my best so far. "Even an Old Blind Hawg :pig: finds an Acorn now and then" :tup:

IMG_0028.JPG

I know the feeling you get when a family member says, that's the best you've cooked so far. Puts a smile on ya face eh? I love pleasing family.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm

10-4 Pard, she downed another decent bowl today also :tup: :salut: :cheers:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:10-4 Pard, she downed another decent bowl today also :tup: :salut: :cheers:

I've been busy last 5 days cooking as well as son and d.i.l are in Melbourne for a wedding, house and babysitting duties. Been great spending time with them. 30 deg Celsius yesterday. Phew! Glad he's got a pool.lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice gumbeaux Señor.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Whew :salut: I've been nervous awaiting our East of the Sabine Resident's comment and now I can rest easy and do it again. BTW, that smoked hot sauce fit nicely in my bowl. :tup: Oldest son is coming over dis ennin after work to bring my ladders back and I'm thinking I'll treat him to a bowl and see what happens so I'd better put some rice on directly :tup:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”