Tamales part 2!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Dodis
Pilgrim

Re: Tamales part 2!

Postby Dodis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Catching up on my lurking!

Tamales are a regular around our house (in season). The wife is from Mexico, and as the last of 12, she got plenty of experience at home! When she makes tamales, she finally told me to stay out of the kitchen and out of her way, I slow her down too much :laughing7: ! Once the meat is cooked and marinated, the assembly goes quick for her, 30-40 dozen per day on average.

As for serving, once you get past fresh from the steamer or out of the microwave... We will toss 'em on the grill in the husks till the husk is dark, gives them a smokey flavor.

Then more elaborate prep, my favorite is for breakfast...

ImageTamale Breakfast-1 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
Unwrap and pan fry...

ImageTamale Breakfast-2 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
On the plate with cheese of choice...

ImageTamale Breakfast-3 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
A couple over easy...

ImageTamale Breakfast-4 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
Add salsa of choice, or queso works too!

ImageTamale Breakfast-5 by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
MONEY SHOT!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:23 pm

My Wife just asked me why I was licking the Monitor Screen :dont:
:tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Those look premium! I bow in the presence of real experience in this area. I don't think I could make 300-400 tamales in a week, let alone a day. :whiteflag:
(Insert witty signature here)
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 am

The biggest boost to her production was the masa spreader. Similar to a small concrete trowel. Her family would sit around the kitchen all day, 3-5 of them spreading masa with a spoon, and 1 or 2 filling and rolling. And of course, gossiping all day! With the masa spreader, she can prepare the husks faster than 3-4 could fill them. Turns out, the rest of the family didn't like it because it cut their gossip sessions too short! :laughing7:

Found this video on YouTube of the spreader in use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAyPqYcxLA
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 am

Oh, and another way to serve 'em for non-breakfast, fry them up like I showed above, but top with lettuce or cabbage, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, and Mexican sweet cream or sour cream. And/or whatever else trips your fancy.

These are just boxed frozen taquitos (lazy dinner), but the same thing we do with tamales...
ImageTaquitos by Mr_Dodis, on Flickr
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am

Superb! :cheers:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 am

Dodis wrote:The biggest boost to her production was the masa spreader. Similar to a small concrete trowel. Her family would sit around the kitchen all day, 3-5 of them spreading masa with a spoon, and 1 or 2 filling and rolling. And of course, gossiping all day! With the masa spreader, she can prepare the husks faster than 3-4 could fill them. Turns out, the rest of the family didn't like it because it cut their gossip sessions too short! :laughing7:

Thank you thank you thank you - - - if I can score one of these I may even make tamales again - - sometimes the simplest of ideas are the best idea :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

OUP,

She got hers at HEB, so it should be easy to find. At least in Texas!

When I searched for an image to post, saw plenty of links for Amazon, eBay, etc. selling them.

Mike
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

thanks, HEB is my go-to Store so tomorrow I'll browse the goodies - - thanks again :tup:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

Dodis wrote:The biggest boost to her production was the masa spreader. Similar to a small concrete trowel. Her family would sit around the kitchen all day, 3-5 of them spreading masa with a spoon, and 1 or 2 filling and rolling. And of course, gossiping all day! With the masa spreader, she can prepare the husks faster than 3-4 could fill them. Turns out, the rest of the family didn't like it because it cut their gossip sessions too short! :laughing7:

And now I know what my next kitchen gadget will be! I love tamales and would have them much more often but the work though.. THIS will eliminate the worst part of making them. Thanks for sharing!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”