Plum Jelly

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Plum Jelly

Postby Rambo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Plums are starting to ripen and I'm fighting the squirrels, birds, and coons for them. We have one big tree in the back yard. I'm boiling the ripe ones right now and putting up juice; will start making actual jelly soon.
Attachments
cooking plums.jpg
Plum Juice.jpg
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Plum Jelly

Postby Russ » Sat May 19, 2018 1:25 am

Is that like plum sauce? How do you use it and with what? I'm picking sammiches, I do a chicken in plum sauce.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 am

Russ wrote:Is that like plum sauce? How do you use it and with what? I'm picking sammiches, I do a chicken in plum sauce.

Russ

No Sir, not unless I don't understand what you're saying. I take the ripe plums; rinse them; put in a large stainless steel and boil. There's a little more to it than that but I won't bore you. Once it reaches a boil I strain it in a fine sieve to remove any pulp/other so I have pure Plum Juice to make my jelly with
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 am

My Mom made black plum jam when I was a kid. She'd put whole cloves in it, and I hated biting down on them! But I have taken up the cause, and now just put in a little powdered clove.

I like the texture and tartness of plum skins, so I just halve or quarter the plums and leave the skins on. Any kind of plum works, but I wait all year for the black ones.

I wanna see your finished product! :cheers:
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am

I'll post it for you SK, may be a few days
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 am

Rambo wrote:I'll post it for you SK, may be a few days

Thanks, Rambo! Our comcoction looks like your first pic, but no pits. I sometimes use lemon or lime zest for the pectin.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun May 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Done
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0754[3665].JPG
thumbnail_IMG_0755.jpg
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 am

I remember that, Mom “putting up” blackberry and wild Mustang grape jelly from berries we picked around Grapevine and Southlake. One of the biggest blackberry brambles in north Texas used to grow right over by the White Chapel Church in Southlake before you got out to Goode Field, close to where Clyde Barrow gunned down 2 State Troopers in ‘34, a month before Frank Hamer and Ted Hinton caught up to him in Louisiana. That bramble was 2 or 300 yards long, about 6 foot high and 6 or 8 foot deep. My Dad leased the 200 acres around the NE corner there to run mares and we’d go out and pick the berries; we’d stay all day and pick 4 or 5 gallons, and then take ‘em home and my Mom would make jelly out and kolaches out of them and freeze up a bunch. Then we’d drive out to to Weatherford to the farmers market, which sells some of the best peaches in the world (from orchards over in the bottoms along the Brazos), and buy several gallons of those which she’d make into kolaches and cobblers, and we’d freeze up a bunch of those too. Come winter, she’d make Maryland crab cakes using her family recipe, then she’d pull out a bag each of blackberries and peaches, thaw them out, and then scoop vanilla ice cream over the whole thing.

You could accurately say my childhood didn’t necessarily suck from the food perspective, though her meatloaf recipe must’ve come from a prison kitchen cookbook. To this day, I can’t stand to look at a can of tomato paste.

But the fresh peaches and blackberries went a long way toward correcting the toxic meatloaf.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am

Boots, you and I share much in common. I enjoyed what you wrote. FYI - I put up 1 1/3 gallons of juice also so if we decide to do some more for gift giving, etc., I'll have it.
Attachments
IMG_0757[3677].JPG
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 21, 2018 6:40 am

Pretty!

You should try some of that juice for milk sherbet, too.
Moink!
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm

My Mom used to make wild plum jelly... best I ever had, She got dementia now and does not remember how she made it. Should have asked sooner but who knew.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:20 pm

My b.i.l dropped in the other day, he took some of my preserves including plum sauce I made. He txt my wife that night,he loved it on his dinner that night. I still have about 30 X 1 litre bottles left,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:42 pm

bobcat1 wrote:My Mom used to make wild plum jelly... best I ever had, She got dementia now and does not remember how she made it. Should have asked sooner but who knew.

Bobcat - If you get your hands on some plums you can follow the recipe in the Sure-Gel package, it's good
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:43 am

Rambo wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:My Mom used to make wild plum jelly... best I ever had, She got dementia now and does not remember how she made it. Should have asked sooner but who knew.

Bobcat - If you get your hands on some plums you can follow the recipe in the Sure-Gel package, it's good

Might just try that. Thanks!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 am

bobcat1 wrote:
Rambo wrote:

Might just try that. Thanks!

It won't taste quite like the wild plum jelly you remember. I've never done it with Store Bought plums, I don't know where you're at but if you have a Brookshire Brothers try the Blackburns, it pretty darn good.

By the time you buy everything you need to produce the jelly it's cheaper to buy it, much cheaper. Try the Blackburns

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”