Crawfish Boil - Need Some Tips

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Crawfish Boil - Need Some Tips

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am

I've been cooking crawfish for a few years now and can't seem to get consistent results to my liking. I was hoping for some tips or strategies to use this upcoming weekend. I have a turkey fryer burner but it's on the low end of the BTU scale when in comes to rapidly bringing water to a boil. Even under a full-on boil when I dump the crawdaddies in it takes a while to get things really boiling again. So, some concerns.....

1) Do I wait for the water to reach a full boil (4-5 minutes?) before "starting the clock"?

2) How long do you suggest I cook overall.... either after it reaches a boil or after they get dumped in?

3) Any secrets to making the claw meat release easier (I love me some claw meat)?

I know to let them soak - add ice or somehow cool the water to stop the cooking process. So, if there's any specific things you do relative to the procedure I'd appreciate the feedback. Note to self - probably overthinking this thing. :whiteflag:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Crawfish Boil - Need Some Tips

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 am

Calling Sir Egghead - - - East Sabine River Connection Needed :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Crawfish Boil - Need Some Tips

Postby egghead » Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 am

Hey amigo

I would follow Zararains process.

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/rec ... boil?amp=1

I double the amount of crab boil that is suggested 8)

One reason for throwing a bunch of ice on top of the pot is to release entrapped air so the crawfish on top will sink and begin absorbing the seasoning. The entrapped air thing really applies more to crabs than crawfish.

I let them soak around 30 minutes before sampling. Let them continue to soak until you’re happy with the flavor.

One think some folks do that I don’t like is to put the hugs in an ice chest and put a bunch of seasoning on top. I don’t need a bunch of pepper on my hands and lips (of course I suck the heads :laughing7:) when eating crawfish.

Buena Suerte Tx Smoker
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”