Sausages for lunch

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Sausages for lunch

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:12 am

Not much cooking but I think we do this a little different than you. That's why I post this. Hope you don't mind.

While we mostly eat bread for lunch we bought some wiener sausages for lunch today.

I cook up some water with bouillon ( and sometimes chunks of onions) until it's boiling. Turn it down to around 80 Celsius. In with the sausages and wait until they are warm.

We sometimes use sausagebread but most of the time we use potatocake. I like it much better than bread. Feel the bread takes away some of the taste of the sausage and get too "doughy", if it makes any sense?

Never ketchup on sausages for me.

With use raw onion, crisp onions or shrimps in mayonnaise as toppings.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Sausages for lunch

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:15 am

Looks Delicious to me AND if one didn't know better they could mistaken it for Tex Mex Food :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:28 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Looks Delicious to me AND if one didn't know better they could mistaken it for Tex Mex Food :tup: :salut: :cheers:
Didn't think of that before you mentioned it, but I see it now. :-). Do you use potato cakes?

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 am

I assume you are speaking of the Wrap, if so then, no we use either Corn or Flour Tortillas - - - I prefer a white corn tortilla most all of the time except with Quesadillas, then I use Flour Tortillas. Don't know what the Potato Cakes would be called here in the States. It seems like I've heard some members of the Forum memebers mentioning using them before. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 am

Yep that looks like a foot long hot dog in a burrito tortilla......

I commend you on cooking the sausage properly most often here sausages are overcooked.
The internal temperature of the sausage should be 65-67°C or about 152°F this results in a plump and juicy link. Adding flavors to the water is rare here but certainly helps.
Areas in the northern US with a lot of German and Scandinavian descendants do properly make and prepare link sausages.
tarde venientibus ossa....
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 am

Overcooked sausages is awful. Too much heat and they burst. That is absolutely the worst. The skin on these sausages are made of pig intestines. Properly cooked they should have a firm, snapping feeling and with a cracking sound when you take a bite.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Joernolav wrote: The skin on these sausages are made of pig intestines. Properly cooked they should have a firm, snapping feeling and with a cracking sound when you take a bite.

Yes Sir, that description reminds me of the Smoked Venison Sausage that my Processor in Briggs Texas used to do for me every year. That along with some killer Jalapeno/Cheese Venison Summer Sausage is really the only thing that I miss about Bambi Hunting. :laughing7:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 pm

I believe venison for you is deer?
Smoked venison sausages sounds fantastic. Never tasted it.

I think of venison as game and can be anything from deer, elch, reindeer and more

I love game. Actually we had a game stew for dinner today. Consisted of Deer, Reindeer and Elch. It's hunting season and a lot of fresh game in the stores now so a good time to fill up the freezer.

Sausages in different varieties are good. I have some German thuringer bratwurst in the fridge. Looking forward to put them om the grill.

Some years ago I was visiting Iceland and to every meal we got fish. I am not overly fond of fish so at lunch one day I was impolite and left the table because of fish once again. Walked across the street where they advertised sausages. I bought two of what I thought was wieners similar to those I posted here. Hungry as I was I took a huge bite of the sausage. It was not wiener with pork, but mutton. Mutton meat and mutton fat. Absolutely disgusting. Lamb is excellent, mutton not.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:54 pm

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I just knew you were gonna say "I bit into it and found FISH Sausage" :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 pm

:laughing7:

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Beautiful plate. And great fish story.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

That looks great
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am

Now that right there is a wiener !!! :cheers: :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 am

I can't stop picturing one of those wrapped in at leat 2 pieces of Bacon and then Ripped in Hot Oil, however, you'd have to use a loaf of French Bread for a Bun :laughing7: :lol: :D :cheers:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am

Or these. Filled with a little bit of bacon and cheese for taste.Strait on the grill. We often wrap these in bacon. Just like I think you did in one of your posts. I still prefer potatocake instead of bread. These are by the way smoked on beech and are pretty good. Image

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”