Reindeer and moose stew

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Reindeer and moose stew

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Made a kind of traditional Sami or Lapp dish today. We often do this as a Sunday dinner during winter. Since this is mostly simmering by itself it's a perfect dish while ski world championship is airing on TV. The championship lasts until next Sunday so no time for bbq's, grilling or long time in kitchen these days.

The dish is made of thin chips or stripes of reindeer, moose, bacon and mushrooms which is first fried in a pan. Then simmered in a mix of cream and whole milk (the lean version) or sour cream. In the mix we add a few slices of brown cheese, some crushed junipers, salt and pepper. Simmer until tender. Served with rice, Brussels sprouts and lingonberry jam.

Very good.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Reindeer and moose stew

Postby Rambo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Like I told Brother Bert: Luv'ya Joe but I'm not eating that
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 pm

That's fine, but this is pure meat, no gut parts.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:33 pm

What do reindeer and moose taste like? ...and don't say 'chicken'.... :laughing7:
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:What do reindeer and moose taste like? ...and don't say 'chicken'.... :laughing7:
It's a bit hard to describe. Reindeer is ranked as the best meat we have. It's very lean but very tender and not dry. They have found that the meat is just as healthy as fish, due to it's low fat and high content of omega fatty acids.Because of the animals diet it tastes like a beef steak but milder and sweeter with a taste of herbs and grass. Milder taste during winter when it eats mostly moss. The taste therefore varies during the year because of different food available to the animals. The reindeer live in big flocks in the open areas above the tree border in the mountains. Steaks from reindeer is expensive and a real delicacy.

The meat used in the dish above is not so expensive but still tender and tastefull.

Moose tastes more game. Especially Male moose can be a bit bitter. Steaks from moose is also very good. Not so tender as reindeer. A lot of moose hunting in the autumn so it's readily available.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks! I'd try that dish if you made it for me. :D
Moink!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:16 pm

I grew up on the Texas Mexico border, I learnt to eat everything, I in it looks good to me, sounds and looks good :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 pm

I'll take Rambo's Plate and mine also :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:What do reindeer and moose taste like? ...and don't say 'chicken'.... :laughing7:

Fantastic! Better than deer meat. LEAN stuff. Really strong flavor, though not gamey. Joe nailed it when he says hard to describe. lol. They are both very good.

Joe: is that red currant jelly?
(Insert witty signature here)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

Txdragon wrote:

Fantastic! Better than deer meat. LEAN stuff. Really strong flavor, though not gamey. Joe nailed it when he says hard to describe. lol. They are both very good.

I am not sure about the English name for the berries used. I thought they were called lingonberry. Other names can be lowbush cranberry or mountain cranberry.

They grow on the ground, almost like the blueberries but close to the ground. They are bright red. You can see the berries in the last picture above.

The red currant is what we call stirred lingonberry. That is only the fresh berries stirred together with some sugar. 2/3 berries and 1/3 sugar. No boiling og cooking. Just stir until some berries are crushed. We use this almost always with game but also with meatballs,

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:00 am

Joernolav wrote:
Txdragon wrote:

I am not sure about the English name for the berries used. I thought they were called lingonberry. Other names can be lowbush cranberry or mountain cranberry.

They grow on the ground, almost like the blueberries but close to the ground. They are bright red. You can see the berries in the last picture above.

The red currant is what we call stirred lingonberry. That is only the fresh berries stirred together with some sugar. 2/3 berries and 1/3 sugar. No boiling og cooking. Just stir until some berries are crushed. We use this almost always with game but also with meatballs,

According to their taxonomy, if I can remember biology, they are related, just not very close. They're kinda like 2nd cousins. Lol! I may be wrong on their relation, but they are different species entirely. They do share the first 3 classifications. Interesting enough, they are largely prepared in the same methods.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am

Txdragon wrote:
Joernolav wrote:
Txdragon wrote:

According to their taxonomy, if I can remember biology, they are related, just not very close. They're kinda like 2nd cousins. Lol! I may be wrong on their relation, but they are different species entirely. They do share the first 3 classifications. Interesting enough, they are largely prepared in the same methods.
Are You talking about the berries or the animals?

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 am

Joernolav wrote:Are You talking about the berries or the animals?

Oh, Haha! The berries.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Great. Sorry for being stupid.

techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Ikea sells lingonberry jam here in the US. I had it once and liked it, but I like pretty much all berries.
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”