Crawfish boil

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Crawfish boil

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Never had it, always wanted to and looking for advice and possible recipe for it. Does the stock or spices vary from region to region in Louisiana? I was watching Beat Bobby Flay and thought about why not try this... Do most have oranges and lemons in it? Veggies? sausage and crawfish of course. Anything else?
Last edited by Copasspupil on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Crayfish boil

Postby Russ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Copasspupil wrote:Never had it, always wanted to and looking for advice and possible recipe for it. Does the stock or spices vary from region to region in Louisiana? I was watching Beat Bobby Flay and thought about why not try this... Do most have oranges and lemons in it? Veggies? sausage and crayfish of course. Anything else?

Are you meaning crawfish?? We have crayfish but no craw. I'm confused. I believe our koura are similar to your craw and our crayfish like your lobster??

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Re: Crayfish boil

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 pm

Dang it I was speaking in the phone and sent it. Crawfish
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Crawfish boil

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am

Aka Land Lobsters. Like mini lobsters. Fierce too.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:51 am

I this area, and most others that surround it, the word CRAWFISH BOIL or BOILED CRAWFISH is always used. If it's a Lobster, then we call it Lobster. Lots of slightly different recipes out there but I would wait until Egghead had a chance to reply, if I were you. :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 am

The seasoning is pretty much the same across Louisiana. Look for Zatarains - either the box with the bags inside or liquid. You can double or triple the suggested amount and then let them soak to absorb the seasoning. Potatoes, corn on the cob (the frozen half cobs are just right), whole unpeeled onions, whole heads of garlic are the most popular veggies. I like to add whole artichokes to the veggie mix. The lemons and/or oranges simply add a little different flavor to the boil. Some add mushrooms as well. Aside from veggies, smoked sausage and hot dogs are popular adds.

Add the veggies after the seasoned water comes to a boil and let them boil about 15 minutes before adding the crawfish. Add the crawfish. After the crawfish come back to a boil, boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let them soak to pick up the seasoning. Test occasionally to see if they are seasoned to your likeness. My plan includes a 30 minute soak but can go longer.

A little late for crawfish this year but can use the exact process for blue crabs or shrimp. The difference is boil the shrimp about 3 minutes and crabs about 7 minutes.
Attachments
289F25C5-D4EB-4D1B-98D7-1C321808FA19.jpeg
04513439-77DD-46C7-B186-E2803507A400.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:53 am

C.P. if you have enuff to do several boils/cooks, after they have soaked for 30 mins or so you can put the hot seafood over into an ice chest, sprinkle with seasonings, layer on too of layer and top with newspaper then close cooler lid until ready to eat. they will absorb more seasoning and be ready to eat when you are finally finished cooking "everything" :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks Fellas, appreciate the replies and pics. I might have to modify the seafood as I've never seen crawfish being sold up here. I'd guess shrimp and dungeness crab would work. Mushrooms would be l loved by 2 of the 6 family members with my misses not wanted to smell them let alone eat one unfortunately. I'm going to try it next weekend for sure. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 am

Layered crawfish, sprinkled with more seasonings will not get absorbed. Think about it. Crawfish will not absorb dry seasoning through the shells. The main flavor comes from the boiling water itself. If the boil is not right, you won't have properly seasoned crawfish, you'll just have crawfish with sprinkles on the outside, and if you lick your fingers you'll get the seasoning.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am

Agreed, most of the seasoning that I get (and I add a lot) is from my fingers when peeling and scooping the fat from the head. However, when you put hot crawfish in an ice chest and add seasoning it creates a steaming effect which, IMHO, brings out more taste from the seasonings. :tup: :salut:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:C.P. if you have enuff to do several boils/cooks, after they have soaked for 30 mins or so you can put the hot seafood over into an ice chest, sprinkle with seasonings, layer on too of layer and top with newspaper then close cooler lid until ready to eat. they will absorb more seasoning and be ready to eat when you are finally finished cooking "everything" :tup:

I meant to add in my earlier reply that I’m not a fan of sprinkling season on top of the bugs after the boil. There was a place in China, TX (just west of Beaumont) that did that. It puts pepper on the outside of the bugs and isn’t appealing to me. So you end up with pepper on your hands and lips if you suck the heads. We didn’t return.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am

Sir Egghead, I'll admit that ?if? boiled correctly then I like your way best also BUT the local places around here leave a lot to be desired ?if? "I" don't add seasoning after they are served :dont: :whiteflag: :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Sir Egghead, I'll admit that ?if? boiled correctly then I like your way best also BUT the local places around here leave a lot to be desired ?if? "I" don't add seasoning after they are served :dont: :whiteflag: :salut:
C'mon Emm, we all know that you dunk ur mini lobstahs in that " best ever sauce " you crave about

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 am

woodenvisions wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Sir Egghead, I'll admit that ?if? boiled correctly then I like your way best also BUT the local places around here leave a lot to be desired ?if? "I" don't add seasoning after they are served :dont: :whiteflag: :salut:
C'mon Emm, we all know that you dunk ur mini lobstahs in that " best ever sauce " you crave about

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Git a Rope.jpg.jpg
Git a Rope.jpg.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:36 am

BTW, I got the Ice Chest idea from Tony's Cookbook and I have used it on Crabs, Shrimp and Crawfish (even all at the same time on one occasion :dont: ) Anyhow, this is what Tony's suggests. :tup: :dont: Left click and pics will show properly. :salut:

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”