Fried chicken and wings

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Fried chicken and wings

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:22 am

If it feels like all I use my fryer for is chicken and wings, you're right. I'm not complaining, mind you, but it's a little funny.

Dinner tonight was fried chicken with the outlaws. Initially, they only wanted chicken pieces, but I convinced them to also do some wings. I ws nervous about doing the chicken as it was, so the wings were to have something I knew I could cook and they could munch those while waiting for the fried chicken pieces.

First off, the recipe for the chicken is here: Buttermilk-Cornmeal Fried Chicken
the wings were just taken from the package, trimmed into 2 pieces, and coated in flour seasoned with a tablespoon or 2 of Old Bay.

First off, here's the Bil having a "viewing" of my fryer.

We had to improvise a windbreak. The oil was heating, but not very fast. It was too dang cold and windy where I was set up.

Wings bubling away. Those 4 wings you see were all I had. No joke, that was my meal! I cooked over 50 pieces, and they were scarfed by the crew. Those 4 were rescued, at great risk to life and limb, by my loving wife. The sauce next to it is Gators Chipotle Texas Heat. Perfect dipping sauce.
Image Image Image

Now for the chicken. There were 3 whole fryers marinating in buttermilk and dredged in the flour-cornmeal mix. They fried up good and crunchy, but the coating was too much like a fish fry batter for my tastes. Only problem I had was the chix took 15 minutes to cook. I could only cook 4 pieces at a time, so it was cook 4, let oil heat up, cook 4, etc. Not conducive to a family meal at all.
Image Image

And Gator, we need to talk. I brought the Texas Heat over for folks to try, and try they did! I would say this is what they left me, but I'd be lying. They finished the bottle! My chilehead BIL couldn't get enough, and even the "wimp" friend had her share. You should get some business from this, bro!

Lessons learned from this cook:
1. I waited until 5 before I started asking about cooking dinner. I should have asked sooner. As it was, prep work and cooking was a lot later than I really wanted.
2. Next time, cook the chicken early and throw it into the oven. That way everyone can eat at the same time.
3. Bring more Texas Heat next time. Guess what's going in their stockings next Christmas.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:35 am

Lookin good Rob!!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:27 am

Looks great! Glad you had a grand time!

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:41 am

Looks good. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 am

Looks great from here!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks Rob - good to see the sauce being put to good use! :wink:

Great looking food! 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Rob,

Good looking chicken dere :) I know what you mean about cooking for a crowd and the going is slow. The idea of starting earlier and keeping in a warm oven is excellent.

However, when I have to deep fry for a crowd, I use a wok. The sloping sides provide a larger surface area although more oil is used. I have several 24" dia woks that I use on burners like yours.

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”